CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What did I do? Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I do? Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou

I have had this bike for about a year and a half. Rode it, recreationally, for about 3 of those months. The rest of the time has been waiting for parts, part money, or the time to work on her. I've enjoyed it but now after rebuilding the carbs, adjusting valve lash, and balancing the carbs, with out this issue it wants to jump up to about 4500 rpm. I have run it a few times since doing the work on her. no problem. the only difference is a capfull of lucas. It is like something just broke free it sounds great! Just runs like a bat outta hell (Meatloaf rules)

Thansk for any help.

Patrick

Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Default RE: What did I do?

I'm no authority on carbs but I'd start with the basics. Check for cable binding & adjustment of free play. Then perhaps the choke is sticky. Like I said, basic.Sorry but I hope it's a start.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 PM

Nothing to apologize for, thanks for the reply. With choke on it goes to 6 or 7k before I chicken out and cut it off. lol

Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 PM

Did you set thye idle rpm screw back to where it is suppose to be?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with Bluebeard and Malbojah, definitely a carb cable problem. Maybe one of the return springs isn't right ?(or has come off) ? I've done my carbs a few times, but never had that happen......maybe in the throttle grip unit.....? Can't be much else IMHO.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:55 AM
jb

sounds like one of yr butterflys are stuck open remove carbs,look down ventura see if they are shut, they only need to be a tad open for rpm to dramaticly increase, or above has happened

Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Thanks again for all of the help. I was thinking about the throttle stop but it idled at 1800 or so for a while after the balancing. Just yesterday while warming her up it just took off, almost like the jets finally got cleared, though this is most likely not the case. The throttle stop is very hard to turn in any direction. Does anyone know if the threads are right or left hand? I assume lefty loosey righty tighty, but you about ***-you-me-ing.
Thanks again,

Patrick

Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Either the butterflys have stuck (more than one or it wouldn't get to 7Krpm I think) - Maybe one of the cables has come out of the guides on the carb and has stuck (or broken in its sleeve)? Just to jump up like that really sounds like cables - I'd pull them off without moving the throttle, and look into the venturis- they should be almost fully closed, maybe 3 mm or so from bottom, if I remember correctly.
Let us know what you find pse. I think the throttle stop is right hand threaded......

Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 PM

It only gets to 7k with choke on in was getting 4500 without. Anyhow I pulled the carbs and #1 was full of gas float valve may have been stuck. I opened it and pushed the float down it felt like it broke free, with very little effort, but effort nonetheless. I hope that was it. I checked the float height on them all, as long as I have gone this far. only #2 seemed a little off. The float height was slightly different on one side. (about 1/2 a mm) so I just tweaked it a little and left it.

I failed to mention that I have bypassed the fuelpump. I see first hand about the Importance of the petcock. hee hee

Thanks again,
Patrick

P.s. I will post again when I put her back together, and fire it up....... The bike, too.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM

Seems like it should be flooded, instead of the high idle. The intake was full too. # 2 had some in it, too. May have dripped in after I broke the carbs free. Didn't get to fire her up, as the wife and kids want to eat. 70ºf days make them want grilled meats. I need to sort my priorities a little better.

Thanks again,

Patrick

Quick Reply: What did I do? Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou