CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Weeeeehaaaaa

Old 05-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weeeeehaaaaa

I'm posting this message here in this Forum because its about the 1000F this last couple of days...

I took a Road trip with 6 other people to Big Bend National Park (from Austin) on my 1000F, to find blistering speeds and winding roads.. Oh yeah, we found em too!!! I was in the company of a Ducati (St2) a Honda ST1100, a Gold Wing 1800 (It could keep in those twisties too, guy had *****!!) 2001 R1, Kawasaki ZRX1200, and a 2002 Hayabusa. First of all, I must update you that these guys can RIDE!!! They are all older than me, and more experienced. (I'm 35)

I have had my bike now a little over 2 months, and I have to tell ya'll that she is old (the bike) and heavy, but can keep up with the best of em!! On a straight run, I blew past the Ducati and the ST1100 like they were standing still. The ZRX1200 and the gold wing didn't have a chance, the only thing that beat me was the Hayabusa and the R1. Oh yeah... We were out on baron roads in West texas, very very few cops (In the boonies) so the speeds were insane! You know you have to do it from time to time, and this was my time. I found a problem because of the high speeds, after running at a 155mph if I pulled the clutch in and let the throttle go the engine would die. Not cool... But I also noticed that while the fuel gauge was showing 1/4 of gas I would have to switch into reserve because the engine would die down like it was out of fuel. Yeah, I figured the Pecock valve is clogged a bit. So I wasn't even getting the proper fuel feed to the carbs!! So I still have more power left in her! Incredible. She's 11yrs old and can still hold her own!!

I like straight out speed, but I really enjoy the twisties more! There are some insane sweepers up in the hills close to Big Bend park. I must tell ya'll that I'm not completely use to the CBR yet, but I can also say if I was in the middle of the pack that's where I stayed. This bike is planted on the ground so solid it is VERY confidence inspiring. Toward the end of our trip, I had gotten a LOT of confidence in the tires and the bike and everyone was pushing a little harder. I can tell you from personal experience, this bike is fantastic in the twisties!!! The only thing you guys MUST realize, she likes POWER in the turns!! Without power she will go straight!! And straight on these roads is disaster!! I decided to pull the rear of he pack when the pace got higher just to be safe, and I must tell you they didn't go anywhere!! I kept right up with them, and had to slow down not to overrun them in many instances!! This bike rocks!! I was behind the R1 (he looked like he was cruising) and he said "I swear you were going to drop the bike because it was leaned over sooooo far). Well extra weight kinda does that, but I never felt a single slip, no bobbles, nothing. The bike is very very planted and solid!! Guys if you have this bike, ride it with confidence!! She will do everything you can think of doing, and very well!! After a 5 day trip, my rear tire is complete toast!! The edges are burned completely up, the center is flat spotted, but I tell ya what.. It will be the best 130 dollars I have ever spent, cuz the tires never gave ONE time under hard riding pressure.

This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid to ride like the guys in the beginning of Wide World of Sports, and this weekend made it a reality!! The only reason I didn't drag a knee, no kneepucks!!! I don't mean to sound like a squid or anything, because I was on deserted roads waaay in the boonies.. I think my next crazy riding day will be at Texas Speedway, where speed and knee sliding is legal!! Everyone should take a trip like I did, between the beautiful scenery, and the high speed riding and insane twisties, I met some good friends to ride with.

I hope I don't get blasted for riding like a squid on public roads that were extremely deserted, but I had to tell people who

Old 05-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Default RE: Weeeeehaaaaa

sounds like a awsome trip
i wish i could take a ride like that
but after the hit the sand with
my bike haven't been able to go riding yet
but soon
thanks for the great post
please postyour next ride like that

Old 06-07-2005, 01:46 AM

WOnder what the speed diff is from these bikes and the 1000RR.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 PM

I think the speed difference between these and the RR is rather drastic because of the weight. The RR's are at least 120 pounds lighter, with an additional 40 HP or so. So you can figure its much faster, and should even corner better. But both aspects depend completely on the rider of the bike. I have been able to stuff many guys on newer and faster bikes just because of experience. They didn't know their ride, and I do. (still learning more about the CBR1000 though, only had it 2 months) Its something that shouldn't be rushed, but gradually obtained. Going down a long straight road wot anyone can do, but holding speeds throught a turn takes experience or someone insane. Besides, most people buy their bikes based on ego rather than experience!! One of the guys on this ride owns a motorcycle shop, and its scary how many people go in and buy a bike from him and wreck it within a couple of weeks. SCARY!!! I guess you could call it job security.

I can say this, it is absolutely awesome riding with a bunch of experienced riders. Being able to trust the person you are in front of and know the guy behind you will be clear of you if anything may happen is quite comforting. Not to mention, as a group we were all riding quite hard through corners and stayed together all the way down. It was something to experience.

Grey, you will be able to get out and do a trip like that.. Just steer clear of those gravel spots buddy!

Search this Thread