Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: warped front rotors?

There was a recent post about this

https://cbrforum.com/m_667863/tm.htm

Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There should be NO play in the front wheel.
Change the bearings - it's quick and cheap.
Check posts from a week ago on this issue.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 AM

Morning,
Eerily close to a fault I have just had with my bike. I received an "advisory" from the MOT to check/change rotors as they were slightly pulsing on the brake tester. Not long after this, the front of the bike started to violently pulse with every rotation of the wheel. Looking at the calipers, I saw that they moved as the wheel turned, so I assumed pads, or dirt in the caliper. Removed calipers, NO play in the bearings, very smooth, (I had replaced the bearings a month prior to the MOT) so greased everything up, replaced caliper, same fault! Next I thought changing the caliper hangers was the right thing to try, but bought new pads to give them a go first. They cured the issue for 2 months! Last week the problem returned with a vengence. I had had enough, so pulled the bearing seals to have a look. (Again no play in wheel, but SLIGHT roughness). This was interesting. The seal fitted to the bearing had gone, and 2 ***** were missing from the race! Obviously, it would depend how the ***** were sitting to decide if I got this judder or not, and the pads fixing the issue was just a red herring! Anyway, thing is, change the damned things anyway, and buy GOOD bearings. I believe that it is widely held that *** bearings are maybe good quality ones, perhaps other guys have ideas on that too. A strange fault for me, but it does prove that the bearings CAN be at fault and apear not so when you test them with the wheel in-situ.......

Ara

Old 10-28-2008, 05:03 AM

Hey, Ara's back !
Good to see you again - been hidin out in the Highlands, or what ?

Someone else had a similar problem a few months ago, think it was one of our Scandinavian cousins.

Replacing the bearings is the cheapest and quickest job on the bike, and the one that will save your life before anything else, except the brakes.
+1 Ara !

Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Hi Shadow,
Thanks for the welcome back! Nothidin' away just loads going on, as usual.

To be honest with the bearing thing, Since I bought the bike.... 3 years now I think, I've gone through quite a few front bearings. Dunno why, but they dont seem to last for me. Not doing anything daft like drifting them in using the inner race or anything, just seem not to last. I have decided it might be using my power washer around the bearing area, so I am trying to keep away from that now. I reckon I've fitted 4-5 sets in that time. I am a bit paranoid about them, so when I change the front I do tend to change them as a matter of course now, they're just so cheap, and its a 10 min job anyway.......

Might be my excess baggage I carry (no not the wife), around my belly:-)

Ara

Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Power washers and bearing seals are a no-no, Ara ![X(]
I use the power washer too, but stay well away from bearings, or any susceptible electrical area. Power paraffin spray around the wheel with a squirt bottle works fine for me.
What excess baggage ? You're still the muscular fellow you were three months ago - must be the wife, mate !

Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks for all the info, guys. Yall are a HUGE help.