CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll definately try raising my standard bars first. I agree Steve, that's much easier to see!

I think the vfr bars are the way to go, but the ones I've got just aren't the right ones for my model. They just wouldn't look right to me I think. They're hard to get hold of and new ones are really dear! I'd like to keep lugs on if possible for putting the bike on the centre stand.

I don't think the pull back is what's bothering me. Really I'd like those adjustable bars but can't justify the cash right now...maybe when the tax cheque comes...hmmm..

It's a pain in the **** but I really want to sort this out as it's pretty much the only thing I'm not happy with on the bike.

Last edited by davethepom; 07-20-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, one more note on the GenMar’s, in Karlo’s photos, the spacers you see go over the fork tubes. The round fillers go inside the old clamps.

The fillers fill the clamps, as they would collapse when tightened without them. Be careful not to over tighten them if you are raising the clamps without the fillers.

I did a 419-mile ride today and all I could think about were the bars. The pull back and drop of the factory bars is just enough to make it almost not fun. It is now the weak link. Short ride are no problem. My problem is that once I am in the saddle I don’t want to quit. I don’t mine spending 8-12 hours in the saddle. The weak link now is having to stop because my finger joints are killing me. I want to do a 3,600-mile run to visit a friend but the bars are stopping me (maybe not).

I could do it but come on; you should have bedsores on your butt before you need to stop because of your finger joints.

I do understand why Honda made them the way they did. These were originally sport bikes and the swept down backward angle of the bars are great when you have a leg over and pulling the bike down into a turn. At that point the bars are in great position to pull the outside bar for better leverage in counter steering. For over the road sport/touring…..not so good.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Default hmmmm.

After much pondering on the advise you guys have given me about the Genmar rises and bar angles etc. I've decided to try the vfr bars even though they aren't exactly what I was hoping for. I've fitted one only, just to compare the two on the bike together. Because the lugs dont line up and I may still want to send them back, I've fitted it with the lug still on. This has given me about 5mm more lift on the bars and the bar clamp is still on the fork tube completely. I'm thinking the bar position is exactly what I'm after and only the aesthetics still bother me slightly. If I like the feel after a ride I'll hang on to them and just polish them up some time so they look better. I may not even bother grinding off the lugs as they give the extra lift. I can't fit the circlips on the forks but I can't see that mattering.

I've taken a couple of shots with just one fitted as it could be useful to someone else to see them side by side. I'll attach them if my ancient home computer will come to the party. If it doesn't play I'll edit from work later.

Attached Thumbnails Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!-dcp_0447.jpg   Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!-dcp_0448.jpg  

Last edited by CBRclassic; 07-21-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Requested :-)
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not too shabby at all, at least you got some elevation and straightness out of it all the same
looks like an improvement IMO much more and might start looking a bit goofy....just me

Old 07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Thumbs up Test ride verdict.

I went for a ride just now with the vfr bars on. I'm keeping them! At first I had them pushed almost as far forward as possible with the levers a bit over a finger width from the screen. It didn't feel right to me, although the extra height felt good. I hopped off and adjusted them right back so there's only just enough room for my thumbs by the tank and felt better straight away. I think the fact that they're set back further on the clamps makes a really big difference as well as the height, and the fact that I can adjust where they sit on the forks (lugs not engaged).

My fingers didn't go to sleep (need a longer test though) and I felt much more comfy. Also slow speed riding and traversing my really long, washed out driveway felt much better. I swept past a couple of cars with a bit of push on the inside bar and it felt fine too. Altogether I honestly think I prefer the handling for my purposes. If I was doing track days and hanging off the side I'd probably prefer the old bars. The only thing I had to modify was the screws for my end weights, which needed about 10mm taken off them. The locating holes for the switch units on both sides seem to be fractionally further out towards the end of the bars, but not a problem really.

Thanks very much to you guys for your help, photos, opinions etc. with this job. I nearly made a double fu..mistake by sending them back due to the different lug position and bought Genmars, which may not have been as comfy as this set up. It's bloody great to be able to pick the brains of so many other bike nuts who know exactly what you're on about.

Good on you fellas!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good pics
Good result in the end.........
Now pull your rubber grips off, and wind about 4 layers of masking tape under them on the bars, then put the grips back - you'll find less tingling in the fingers.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

they do sell sporttourers yanno lol

Old 07-22-2009, 01:23 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Great result Dave , saves a lot of hassle as well!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Davethepom,

Thanks for the feedback. A pair of VFR bars were just purchased off of E-bay and are now are heading to my house. I did a little over 1,000 miles last weekend and my pinky joints are still sore. I want to fix this problem.

I know what you mean about polishing them; they looked ugly in the E–bay photo.

Quick Reply: Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!