CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!

Well the package came, I got all excited how you do when something comes for your bike, but I don't think they'll fit properly. The locating lug is in the wrong place and the clamping bolt is also not where mine is. The latter will not prevent them going on, but will look crap. I will take one of mine off and have a proper look but I'm fairly sure it's not a goer. Also they really don't look much higher than mine. The end weights are also tiny compared to mine, so I'd have to replace them too. I might have to see if the wrecker will take them back (it's not his fault I stuffed up) and only lose the freight cost, then look into the Genmar risers.

Maybe only specific models will fit or maybe they can be modified. Anybody have a suggestion before I try to send them back? I was a bit p!ssed off but it's only money and we're all freakin loaded..aren't we? Wait a minute..I just remembered, I'm not loaded...bummer!

Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably could cut the lugs off to get them to work. I've been running without any lugs on my profi bars for over 5 years now without any problems. Also, before spending $100 on the genmars, I'd raise the stock bars about 3/4 inch (? mm) on the fork tubes to see if that gives you enough rise. I tried this when I first got my bike when I looked into the genmars and realized what they are, i.e. simply spacers that go between the bars and the top clamp. I rode this way for a few weeks/months, again without problems, but I also discovered that it wasn't enough rise for my tastes. Also, FWIW, I'm running my profi bars with about 3 inches of rise at the bar ends and this completely takes the weight off of my wrists.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics Dave , please post pics

Sprock

Heeeeyyyyy another trigger puller .........allllll right

Last edited by Sprock; 07-15-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Or I could just sell a kidney or something..no hang on, I need both of them to get the blood out of my beer stream!

I don't think they'll even go on without cutting off the locating lugs and then I'll be screwed as far as sending them back goes. I'll leave it 'til the weekend and then have a better look. I'll try to post a couple of pics for reference in case anybody else tries this later on.

On the bright side, it's nearly Friday again. We're going to watch the young bloke play footy on Saturday, then shooting clays all day (good way to throw away some more cash) on Sunday, and have to chase some cattle around too. I'll make time to dick around with the cbr though!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck in all that, dave!! Sounds like you've got a pretty packed weekend!
Make a good longshot for me at the trap. It's my signature.
Act like you're not interested in the bird at first..... then quick-shot it when it crests.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 PM

I'll get 'em any way I can! We're only beginners and missed last month's shoot due to crap weather. This one is the annual 150 target double barrel event, so it should be a good laugh. We might not shoot all of it as there's so much other **** to do...fricking around with the cbr bars and changing the headlight bulbs etc.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:15 AM

Sprockaholic: The pics will have to wait 'til early next week. I'll take the photos on the weekend but can't send them from home as the 'puter's facked! It's so old we almost need to wind it up before we use it. It's on the list..you know the one..the long one!

Yes, another shooter. There's a few of us on here aren't there? No pistols as you can't carry them here, and can only shoot at clubs. I guess it's what you're used to. It'd seem weird to me to go out armed, but for you guys over "the pond" it's the norm. Just a couple of shoties for me, and a couple of rifles nothing heavy duty though, BSA .222 centrefire is big enough and I rarely use it these days. When the computer gets replaced we're going to introduce to some 12g solids for all the grief it's caused us..childish I know, but fun!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 AM

I've done the VFR bar conversion and actually have some pics. I ended up cutting one of the locating pins off the brake and clutch master cylinders to I could rotate the fluid lines.

Attached Thumbnails Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!-dscf1298.jpg   Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!-dscf1299.jpg   Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!-dscf1300.jpg   Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!-dscf1301.jpg  
Old 07-16-2009, 06:55 AM

So what do they measure between these 2 points?

I think there are early and later bars the above are later ones after 94.

Last edited by karlo; 07-16-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Vfr bars came..i think i fu...made a mistake!