CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Using Center stand

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Center stand

Can any of you get your bike on the center stand by yourself?

I know there is a technique and I have practiced on my smaller bike and can now put it on the center stand by myself.It weighs 480 lbs. My brother can now put his FZ1 on the center stand alone with ease. But, I justcant do it with the Hurricane yet. Is it possible?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Default RE: Using Center stand

I find the bike easy to put on the center stand - compared to my CB750 I had years ago. but there a knack.
I first put the bike on the side stand.
Make sure that the front wheel is mostly straight.
grab the side handle on the left of the bike near the seat.
push the center stand down.
push the bike to the middle position, you will feel when the bike is center though your foot as the centre stand will be at it's lowest - and the two center stand feet will be planted.
push back firmly will most force applied via the side handle in a baxck then up motion, be a little bit forcefull here.
Done.

If the bike is in gear, it can resisted initially until the tire looses traction, so you should try in neutral first.

What ever you do, dont mistake the bike for being on the center stand for the side stand, I took the bike of the center stand when I thought it was on the side stand, and if fell over bracking stuff and take a hole out of my leg, Fun - Not

Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

I've got a '94. Yes, I do it all the time. I put my right hand under the frame just below the left side cover. My left hand is on the handlebar, just to steady it. I put my right foot on the center stand, press it to the ground, then I attempt to stand up on the lever the pivots the bike up onto the stand. It's hard to describe, but not a difficult process. I weigh 215lbs and I'm 6'3".

Old 08-22-2008, 08:45 AM

I've alway compared the way you put a bike on the center stand to streatching something like a belt. You should be pulling up as much as your foot is pushing down. Try to imagine the center stand being one end of a long rubber band and where you grab the frame the other end. just my two cents but it works for me.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 AM

I put mine up in the same fashion as idodirt does. Make sure you are pulling up on the frame piece under the right side cover at the same time you are pushing down hard on the center stand lever with your foot. I have plenty of height (6'4") and weight (245lbs) for the task and I could see how it would be difficult for a much smaller person. Work on being both smooth and forceful when you try next time.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:20 AM

I do think it is technique, I just have to figure it out. Im 5' 10" 180 lbs. I was able to pick it up by myslef when it laid down one morning(thought the side stand was down) so I should be able to do it with some practice. Glad to know it is possible. Thanks for all the tips!

Old 08-22-2008, 04:39 PM

When I first did it, I sas supprized on how easy it was. I think honda did a good job on the design, first time is the hardest

Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 PM

Try ang put a Goldwing on it's centre stand if you think the CBR is hard:P

Old 08-23-2008, 04:28 AM

Coopzi know i haveasked before but what is the color code of your bike

Old 08-23-2008, 07:36 AM

Also, Make sure the side stand is UP when you let her down. This can cause havoc to the top of your foot and cause you the drop the bike. Don't ask how I know. ;-)

Quick Reply: Using Center stand