CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Turn, turn, turn, you B*st*rd

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn, turn, turn, you B*st*rd

How do I get my CBR1000F to steer a bit Quicker ? It's standard so no adjustable forks and I'm running Michelin Macadams (they were on it when I got it). I find it reluctant to turn into roundabouts and it doesn't feel as planted as my previous bike. I know it's a heavy bike but there must be a way that doesn't involve spending tons of money.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Default RE: Turn, turn, turn, you B*st*rd

Yes there is a way. I lowered the front suspension by letting it up a bit. I also raised the rear suspension by shortening the dog-bone. That also gave a little bit stiffer rear suspension. It turns OK now and the cost is nothing. I run on Avon Azaro tyres which most people thing is lousy, but they wors great for me. I have used Macadams for many years before and the also are good on the CBR.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:25 PM

Is it enough air pressure in the tires?
Is the tires flat from driving straight? Then change to new rounder tires like the Metzeler roadtech Z6.
Also u have to use your weight, dont just steer. This is the charm with this bike, lean in the curves, nothing to be afraid of. Practice in a roundabout at night, faster and faster.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:29 PM

Ditch the Macadams. Those tires suck. Like they really suck..... Go with the Metzler Z6 or the Avon Stroms. I've got the Z6's and they are good long lasting tires. Over 8k on this set, and I've heard good things about the Avons as well.
The 1000f isn't the nimblist of bikes because of the long wheel base, but the Macadams really suck....
Did I mention how much the Macadams suck?

Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 PM

Yeah you really need to heave this bike around corners. Use plenty of footped pressure. Always keep the power on through the corner or you'll run wide.

Finally rember slow in fast out. Take a wide entry and narrow exit.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:29 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to check/change your tires. I had Macadam on my bike when I got it, worn flat, sure but the grip was lousy, spinned on dry asphalt and front locked up when braking hard, that was scary. The front had no visually wear, but wobbled when I let the handles go. I have Avon Azaro in back, and Avon Viper Sport in front, and as Honda_Hurricane says, Avon gets a lot of miscredit in Sweden on motorcycle forums, but IĀ“m really satisfied with them. Maybe Avon developed them for our bikes only?
Also, I think you need to have a certain amount of weight yourself to handle the CBR with ease. Practise counter steering, e.g push on right handle when wanting to go right, and push on left handle when wanting to go left.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 AM

The Avaon Azaro's were good tires, but had an annoying low speed wooble that everyone complained about. Avon would actually replace the tire if you complained about it. I'm not sure if it was a manufacturing problem or what. The new Storms seem to be better tires all around. I might try those next after the Z6's wear out. I figure another 3 to 5 K miles on the Z6's so probably the end of the summer or so.
Macadams suck. No grip, bad turn in, they cup and wear funny on every bike. They are the[sm=lildevil.gif]tire.... Oh wait that would be the Diablo's ...LOL

Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info everyone, I will change the tyres as soon as they are worn out (7,500 miles so far, so it won't be long) for Continental Road Attacks which I have used before and really rate. If that doesn't sort it out then I'll look at modifying the suspension.

Oh and yes the pressures are right for the tyres. (I've been riding bikes for 40 years).

Old 07-01-2007, 05:37 PM

When I brought my bike, it felt like it only wanted to go strait, if you leaned it a certain amount, you would feel it get over the flat edge.
Felt heaps better with its new Z6's.
(I'm not saying that the Z6 is the best choice, I choose the Z6 cause of recommendations from this forum, no complains)

Old 07-02-2007, 05:41 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skatrekker

I will change the tyres as soon as they are worn out
Why wait? ItĀ“s riding time now, and itĀ“s now you donĀ“t agree with your bike. ItĀ“s a safety issue! There were plenty of pattern left in my tires when I changed them, if you donĀ“t have the money to change both, maybe your local tyre shop are willing to sell you both tires, but pay for one at once, and the second next month. I realize not all shops are willing to do this, but itĀ“s worth a try.

ORIGINAL: skatrekker
I've been riding bikes for 40 years.
IĀ“m sure you can ride, but more people then we realize just ride their bikes without reflecting on why it steers, and what the rider does to make it lean and turn. Everyone needs to practice on this.

Quick Reply: Turn, turn, turn, you B*st*rd