CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo kits

does anyone know of a company that makes a turbo kit for our bikes ive been looking around and i have seen video's of cbr1000f bikes with turbo's instaled in fact i dug on here and found someone that had one, but nothing but pics. just looking for a kit or maybe just a exhaust manifold ive done many turbo'ed honda cars but never a bike.
thanks for any responses maybe you will have better luck looking for one than i had.
thanks again
james

Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 AM

A Turbo would be sweet. It's a great way to multiply power without losing efficiency. I have a turbo on my 750cc snowmobile and it pumps out 200 hp, what a hoot.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 AM

as far as i know there arent any kits. i have looked as well since i had plans on doing a turbo setup at some point too, but a lot of things turn me off from it. considering you have done turbo builds on a honda car, then you should be well one your way to doing it on the bike. the biggest problem will be the exhaust manifold and the intake plenum, which will both have to be custom.

the red bike you saw with the turbo was also a home grown setup. that bike has now changed owners as far as i know.

also, just because i know how easily moddable newer bikes are (suspension, exhaust, body parts, etc) i think it would be easier going that route. i almost feel that i may end up leaving my 1000F as is (after i tune it some more) and then buy a new(er) bike to make into a monster. i dont have the room for another car to play with, so i might as well put some money into something. saving my money is boring...

Last edited by Bio248; 07-15-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 PM

yea i hear ya there i know exactly haw to run the exhaust side of the system and pretty sure how to run the intake and intercooler, definatly not going to do it like the other guy i want to keep it more stealthy but the only way i can think of to do the manifold is to maybe start off with a stock exhaust and then make it from there.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:45 PM

you could do a log style, but its going to pose a fairly big restriction to your boost level. a tubular header will be best, but it won't be as easy to fit or create.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:13 PM

yea the tubular is what i would go with but thats not the problem i forsee its getting the mounting flanges that bolt to the head i wonder if and of the automobile honda motors would have the same bolt pattens?
just a thought lol

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 PM

The problem I've had with Turbo's is that there is no way of doing one that is neat for a CBR1000f.

Turbo'ing a bike with carbs always means somewhere you lose smoothness.

With the money you'd spend on a turbo you are better of just getting a ZX12 or 14etc and keeping the CBR for Touring.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Trips
With the money you'd spend on a turbo you are better of just getting a ZX12 or 14etc and keeping the CBR for Touring.
+1

Old 07-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by happy_charly
yea the tubular is what i would go with but thats not the problem i forsee its getting the mounting flanges that bolt to the head i wonder if and of the automobile honda motors would have the same bolt pattens?
just a thought lol
good luck i'd love to see it .........

Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM

na tomock up a turbo kit isnt as expencive as you might think might be alot of work but could make one for under a grand 300 turbo 200 intercooler 50 blow off 50 jets 50 external wastegate 50 oil line kit that leaves 300 for pipeing and thats overkill for that might take 150 and if you find good parts on ebay you can even cut it down more. i do however agree with you about the streamlining of the bike might take a small hit but i think i can tuck all pipeing under the plastics only thing you will be able to see is the turbo and the intercooler that looks like another radiator. and im probably gonna use like a little 14b mitsubishi turbo which has a internal wastegate if i can find one. thoes first gen eclipse guys are always upgradeing their turbos so i think i can find a good one real cheap. the only thing i am worried about is making the exhaust manifold it will be my first full tubular design. but it should be fun lol.

Quick Reply: turbo kits