CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

trouble when starting hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble when starting hot

Hi Gang been very busy riding....

Well my 1000f has devellopped something werird when warm, it will start imdediatly, or i will have to try by 3 times before it does, i will chaned my spark plug clean the air filter and check the tank breather tube. i noticed that when it is in aslope with the nose pointing it is harder to start than if it is level or nose doown where it will start immediatly!

any ideas ?

Thanks in advance all !

Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 PM

Sounds a little strange mate. When it does finally start does it smell like it's over fueled. I ask because some times mine has a similar problem, in that when hot I have to crank it until it fires. Once started you can smell the fuel for a few seconds and then it clears and is fine. Will be interested to see what the others have to say

Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 AM

exactlu that wolfman!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 AM

How long since you checked the valve clearances? If they are a little tight often it's hard to start when hot as the gaps are tighter or even holding a valve or two slightly open. It doesn't take much. In summer I set my valves all of 1 thou wider than I do in winter for the same problem that you are having with no excess top end noise or damage. The fuel smell would then be just the raw fuel from cranking the motor over.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:52 AM

Well I am not touching the gas , and valves have been done 3000kms ago and i did not overtighten them... i looking maybe into a float sticking or worn spark plugs, they 200kms , usualy i change them every year, because , once it happen to me and i push start it , in fact I was sitting on it , just gave it a go with legs and let the clucht go and it started right away.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How is the battery? They fail fast. I noticed, prior to getting a sealed battery mine would get low on fluid in a few months. It gets quite hot under the saddle on these bikes. The first thing that I would do, from experience, is pull the battery, hold it up to the light and check the level.

The float levels may be in favor of a low battery when the bike is tilted in one direction.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM

i have a low maintenance battery, i will change the plugs clean the filter and also ut some aclool or carb clean in the gas...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 PM

Sounds like a float sticking, or out of adjustment. I try to always find a flat spot to park my bike so I can put it on the centerstand. Mostly, I like to amaze the kids on new sportbikes when I put mine on the centerstand and get off and spin the rear wheel by hand and look for rocks in the threads.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:04 PM

Ha guy's guess I will give mine acheck out tomorrow. My problem Is the same if on the side or main stand,with or without throttle. Thanks for the ideas

Quick Reply: trouble when starting hot