CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Transforming my CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The header pipes use a copper ring as an exhaust gasket, these get crushed as the header pipes are tightened to the cylinder head. Have a look at the exhaust outlet on the cylinder head, you'll see it in the outlet hole. You can pry them out with a small screwdriver. Use new ones when you re-assemble, that should cure the exhaust noise. I used some exhaust sealing paste as well, just to be extra sure and don't over tighten the header nuts, a snapped stud is a PITA and will completely ruin your day.

And thanks for the up-date, yes we are watching

Old 02-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might have seen it.. where do u think i can buy new ones cheap? Don't feel like paying bikebandit, And appreciate that few people are watching

much thx... hopefully in 2 weeks I can start welding.. It's the hardest part as I will be welding very unnecessary things but will look good as a whole, like nuts on the frame to give it a bolted flare look, a motorcycle chain on both sides.. the motorbike is built around a motorbike theme... so lets see

Once again, much thx

Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 PM

Bought mine off e-bay Aman, but I live in the UK. Don't know what the parts situation is like where you are, but they shouldn't cost more than about $15 including postage.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Just bought 4, as a precausion, I would recommend all the U.S people to buy from him, U can change quantity to 4 and it will only charge for 1 shipping so for me it cost me $10.50 with shipping! $2*4+$2.50 for shipping

Here is the link
Honda CBR1000F 87 96 Exhaust Gasket Seal | eBay

Old 02-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aman Lokhandwala
Just bought 4, as a precausion
Not a precaution Aman, you will need them when you re-fit the exhaust, otherwise you will get leaks. Don't forget to dig the old ones out, they can be quite hard to spot if you don't know what you're looking for. When I did mine it was the first time and it was a while before I realised what they were. I can see the old one in the last picture you posted, the one of the exhaust outlet port. Have a scrape about with a small blade screwdriver and look for the copper colour.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 PM

Thank you Hawk, I just went and snipped out the old rings.. and I'll post a pic 2morow as it's too dark.. buy holy ****.. they are like FLAT! now... that surprised me but I got all 4 out, thank you soooooo much you have no idea, I would have never guessed it.

:bow:

Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM

Yeah, they're like hollow rings and when you tighten the header pipes they crush flat. Really hard to find if you don't know about them.

They're in there and they gotta come out!

Reminded me of this

Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM

How will you go about making plastics to cover the rear? Or are you using another fairing off another bike? Always looking to shed a few pounds off my ride

Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM

O also, I dont know if you can get this stuff where you live, but I used this stuff called purple power de ruster. Works pretty well. Cleaned my header up pretty well

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM

hey Insane, i wish I could really answer your fairing question, but the thing is.. I won't be making plastic or carbonfibre fairings.. instead I'm making sheet metal fairings.. so, I won't be shedding any weight.. fibreglassing might be my last resort cause what I';m trying to achieve might not be possible with fibreglass as with sheet metal.. or rather might be very hard..I got the headers derusted.. i just been to lazy to come and post stuff.. + I stopped working.. waiting for wrap to come in and trying to get my wheels sanded and powder coated.

Quick Reply: Transforming my CBR1000F