CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Track day

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day

Hello all.
Last week I was on track day in Falkenberg in Sweden. We had a wonderful sunny evening, perfect conditions.
The large group was devided in 3 groups with about 15 bikes in each, fast, normal and normal. 15 minutes each times 3. I choose the normal group :-).
The bikes in my group was R1, Hayabusa, Firestrom, Fireblade, Daytona etc.
My bike was clearly the oldest. I hadnt been on track since 1990 so I was a little nervous but when we finally rolled out the nervousness went away.
Well what can I say, the CBR performed big time. I had no problems riding along side with my biker colleagues.
When I came to the straight the only one who clearly was faster was the Hayabusa.
The most impressive I found was that the bike was strong all through the rpm register. After the curves I was at my best when giving full throttle. The downside was the brakes. Especially after the straight coming down hard after 200 kph. I noticed that if I braked very hard the whole front wheel started to twist. However if braking earlier and not so hard in the beginning of the brake it went better.
I was walking on clouds for 3 days after that day and decided to try again soon. However I read in the paper that the day after we had raced there was a similar race on Anderstorp (also in Sweden) and a person died. He got some kind of a whiplash (the bike slided and got grip again) and was thrown of the bike. I feel very sorry for his family and remebered the assurances I had given my whife before I went on track. There is no safer place to ride a bike I said :-(.

Edit: Inserted link to racetrack
http://www.falkenbergsmotorklubb.nu/...ikts_karta.gif

Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Track day

The old Hurricane is not as slow as many thinks. Some weeks ago I had a unplanned dragrace against a Yamaha R1. While the lights were red I started to think that the guy on the "loud, mirror and blinker less, sticker covered" R1 probably want to show off so I was kind of ready when the lights turned green. I let him ahead first so that we shouldnt hook up to eachother while both of us got away with the front high in the air. I was right on his tail all the way to 200+ km/h where both of us were about to exit to other roads. He did not get away at all. That felt really good. The R1 has always been too fast for the Hurricane in my eyes, but not anymore. I must also say that the guy on the race inspired R1 was no rookie.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM

Good for you rhino94!

I did the same last year in Karlskoga with the CBR 1000 F -92 and it was the best track day ever for me. Normally I just do sporadictrack days, and then with the GSX R1000. It was more fun to be an underdog and let the old Hondademonstrate its great capabilities. The brakes were not very good, as you've noted. I'm surprised Inever crash that bike; I just couldn’t stay behind another bike on roads, and gave it all when someone tried to outrun me, which never happened. It was veryinspiring (and silly).

Old 06-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Honda_Hurricane, what kind of modifications have you got on your bike to keep up with an R1? I just got an 88 hurricane in April, and am looking for whatever mods I might be able to find to make it a bit faster, and a bit quicker. Congrats on the race day, that sounds fun. I never get to ride with other guys on sport bikes. I mostly ride with my brother on his '03 Yamaha Warrior (stage 2 kit) and a friend of ours who has an '06 Big Dog K9 custom chopper. So I have no idea how the old Hurricane stacks up with sport bikes like it.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 PM

Knowing how your bike handles and were it has the most power and when you can put it to the ground. Is a good way to havesome fun with a guy on a new sports bike

Old 06-27-2007, 02:59 AM

No big modifications.
-Changed gearing 17/45
-Home made slip-on exhaust
-Raised rear suspension
I know it should not be able to keep up with the Yama R1, but it did.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:28 AM

I have a 92 1000f and it keeps up with my Friend and hisGSXR 1000 with no problem, he does not get away from me defiantly not in a straight!!! I had a run in or tow withayama R1 and the can not keep up with a 1000f!!! I was very surprised the fist time the yama tried to take me and I left him with no problem!!