CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tires-- a tired subject

Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires-- a tired subject

Hi guys. Long time no post. Well its almost spring here...FINALLY!!!!!!... The wheels are being painted as we speak, so naturally new tires- new season.

My question is simple and this:

Has anybody tried Pirelli, Continental,Michelin and Dunlops? Is there anything else out there? I have used the dunlop 208 /qualifiers for the last 2 years, and they are great. But...is there anything else out there for the 93-96 1kf? especially with LBS? I keep seeing ads for new types and models. Anybody?

Thanks guys. Rubber side up!!!

Art

Old 03-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Default RE: Tires-- a tired subject

Michelin Pilot Road/Sports for me every time now; been through the Bridgestone variety but find the Ms much better, loads of grip whatever the weather and superb durability...

Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

hey:

120 frt 180/190rear for 89 up, bikes. metzelers sportec m1-m3 , michelin pilot /2 or contis depending on how much highway time you do
maybe metzelers me 880s.if alot of highway time. bridgestones and dunlops ok too, just don't seem to last as long or grip as good for me.
If you can change your own tires shop ebay if not get the best price from local shops.

Dub

Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where have you been, Chitownart ?
Agree with Flogger (hi Phil) on the Michelins - have a set on now. Had 2 sets of Bridgestone BT020's. All excellent tyres. I wouldn't use Dunlop or Shinko, some say the Continentals are really good, Pirelli too, but Pirellis expensive and short road life....Hardcorp (hi Gunny)has, or had a Continental rear on his bike, which he says is very good. Hope this helps.
Good to see you back.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: chitownart
Rubber side up!!
Rubber side down for me, hopefully most of the time, at least.

(Or perhaps on, but that would be riding something else than a bike)

Old 03-19-2008, 06:35 PM

aaahh Bob you caught my fau paux... and u r correct. Ok so no personal experience anybody with Conti attack? And the michelin 2ct flogger is that the ones? how about the pirelli diablo or rosso?

Yeah I know Its been crazy at work and the weather was/is brutal this winter/year!!!!! I am ready to move to a warmer and drier climate,..like San Fran area or Nashville or RalDurham...something like that..AAHHHH finally some sunshine today and guess what? Tomorrow rain/snow/cold=miserable AAAAARRGGHHHH!!!!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:00 AM

hi all

boy this place is the best thing since slice bread. im putting front tire on 2day back 1s still in mail. i hope i like these ,got them for 80$ a peice. local honda shop wont mount them becuase they did not sell them 2 me hmmmm ill mount them and bring them there 4 balancing. thanks 2 who ever put me on 2 service honda there great, they call me 2 tell me an order is 1$ more and make sure its ok ha ha. i have a wheel barrel full of goodies on the way from them.

i just ordered a set of clip ons 41mm thats right hah 96 cane?

every time i let her sit a week r so and she runs like crap (is this normal)
thanks every1

WorkHardRideHardWakeUpHard

Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one Bob...By the way, you have the same colour scheme cbr as me.
Onthe subject of tyre rubber, it's Michelin Pilot Road for me.
I had Bridgestones on when I bought the bike and they didn't last. Then I tried Metzeler Z6, and they were quite good...good wear but I felt they were lacking grip when pushed a bit harder. Next I went to the Michelin Pilot Road and I'm so impressed that I'm getting another one fittednext Tuesday (a mark 2 this time). With the mark 1s I got good wear, they grip well in the wet and the dry, and have good feel.
If I was a faster rider I'd go the Pilot Sport, but the Roads have enough grip for me as long as I warm them up properly (I've had the back slide out on me on the way home from work by being a bit keen too soon...bloody good fun though!).

Dave.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM

I wish I could contribute more to the wisdom you guys present on tyres, but I am a real newbie with almost no experience in this matter. All I can say is that the longevity and endurance of the Michelin Macadam 100X seems to be greatly overrated - they only lasted ~8000 km, not the 15000 the guy who sold them told me.
Now I've put on Michelin Pilot Road and they seem to be alright. Guess one has to be a far better rider than me to tell the difference between makes and models, but it's a really big difference between a torn tyre and a new one, that's for sure.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WATCH OUT, SCANDINAVIA, COSMOBOB's BACK ON THE ROAD.....
Hide, everybody......he he
Michelin Pilot Roads are fine Cosmo, I have them on my bike, Flogger does too, very good tyres.
You should get at least 13500Kilo's out of a rear, maybe a bit more from the front, before it starts to scallop and the handling goes funny, especially at low speeds..bike seems to "wobble"on slow corners...
I may see you at Skagen............?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires-- a tired subject