CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Tire-change time... need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire-change time... need advice!

Hello all,

I just bought an '87 CBR1000F with a '90 engine + racing cams in it ($1000). The rear tire is completely bald, and so it's time to figure out what to put on it. Looks like this is one awesome forum, and I'm sure to be back here... plenty...

Being that I run on an extremely low budget, I noticed that the Dunlop D404 comes in a 140/90H17. My bike is supposed to ride on a 150/80-17, but who else here thinks that with a little fighting that D404 would fit on the ever-so-slightly wider rim? I know that it's Width/Hight (speed rating--I'm NOT worried about that one: I'll never see 130mph) and rim size.

Granted hole shots will want to burn, possibly, and cornering will likely be slippery compared to a traditional sport bike tire... but I do not intend on riding it much harder than the 1981 Goldwing I'm coming off of. --my sole concern is: would it seal to the rim possibly?

What is YOUR opinion, anyone who feels like giving 2 cents?

Thanks much,
Justin

Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Default RE: Tire-change time... need advice!

God dont go smaller!

If u are on a budget get a Maxxis.

P.S What are the Cams?

Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 PM

The Avon Roadrider comes in your size: http://www.avonmotorcycle.com/us/en/...Xply&SubCat=37 And it's V-rated. Be low-budget somewhere else, but not tires.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:33 PM

My '88 'cane has a Metzler 140/80 series rear tire on it. I've read throughout this forum over the past couple of weeks and found this info... '87&'88 models have a 3.5inch rear rim stock tires size was a 140/80... '90&'91 had the widest rear rim 5.5inches can't remember the stock tire size but I would say it's a 180/55????. There are plenty of cheap dependable tires to get for our rim size I've went to a parts dealer around my area and he carries "parts unlimited" brand tires and the 140/80 sold for about $115. Maxxis is a good cheaper brand also. I've got dunlop 208's (I think...) on my ninja 250. They're great in the rain and for high milage. You'll just have to look at some tires and ask some questions about the ones you like. I order alot of parts through bikebandit.com and denniskirk.com. You can see what tire are offered for our bikes at thier websites. This is off subject but... You said you just got your hurricane.... Is that the black and red one that was selling on E-bay with the cams and '90's engine??? If so, it looked like it was a pretty nice bike. Either way these bikes rock! Thay are plenty fast enough to keep up with the newer sportbikes and are a whole lot comfortable to ride. Congrats on the new bike and ride carefully. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Old 09-27-2006, 11:47 PM

Chuck Norris, expert dective, eh?
Yes, I haven't actually even picked the bike up yet, but I'll order a new rear as soon as I make sure that everything else is in order. Correction here: the factory tire is a 140 width & this D404 is a 130.... But a 130 width was plenty for my '81 Goldwing, and (especially in the first several thousand miles) I do not intend to travel at any higher velocities or much deeper lean angles than I had with it, so I really think so far as safety... 730 pounds incl rider isn't that much less than 880-ish pounds going down the highway... the concern here is all about getting the dreaded bead to seat haha

Anyways, as to the cams, I don't even know--yet. I'll post whatever I find out.

tiresunlimited.com sells D-404's for $65 in my size, and no matter the life of any sport-touring tire... surely the 404 would outlast it...
Whatever the case, it would make quite an experiment!

Old 09-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Experiments, are for test tubes... not your butt, skid'n down the hiway!!!!!!!! Trips is right... don't mount a tire smaller than stock. it will deform the radius if the tire, thus givving you possible unwanted handle'n charecteristics, and stess on tire constuction. The fact that you are asking if this tire will even seat the bead... shows, you atleast suspect, it is less than "proper"aplication... be safe!!!!!!!!!
Clean and free Ripp'n

Old 09-28-2006, 09:23 PM

Just caught what I noticed below... as I will many times and have done plenty of times, I made a fool of myself. If the rim size is right within specs for the tire, then I should know that the bead should seat just fine! Wow, sometimes it amazes me what simple connections I miss.... So basically my deduction is that the tire isn't enough narrower to really make a whole lot of difference....

Again, thanks to those of you willing to listen to my silly rambling...

OLD POST

"That is a good point, about the effects of having the inner part of the tire held wider than "ideal", yet... the rim size is right in the proper range for what is acceptable on the bike. It will definately not be as safe as a correct size, but I'm yet to figure what I'll try... I do appreciate all the concern for my safety here, but like I say, if it is indeed a 3.5" rim, that's within specs for that particular tire size.

At any rate, it'd be my butt on the asphalt, and you that learns "ok, that isn't a good idea, like everybody thinks" haha

Ah well, I think I'll retire my talk and wait until I actually have the bike in my posession before I begin to do any figuring.

Thanks ya'll"

Old 09-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Default The skinny on tires? LOL!!!!!

I think you should be okay with the 130 width on your bike. Everyone complains about putting a wider tire on a skinny rim. Which I understand... If the tire is too wide for the rim the center circumference of the tire pushes outward to make up for there not being enough room for the width of the tire on the skinnier rim. Easier terms... When you squish a marshmallow, as it gets smaller one way. The mass(marshmallow) expands a different way.
Wide tire on a skinny rim= a wide tire squished, making the center circumference larger. Which would cause a steep slope on the sides of the tires and a narrower center patch for riding. The steep slope will cause erratic handling from riding straight to leaning into a curve( bad handling). The narrower center patch will cause the tire to wear out prematurely and be more sensitive to following ruts in roadways and would feel loose when riding straight.
The skinnier tire would= A skinny tire stretched wider, making it have a smaller center circumference. Which would make the tire less of a slope across the tread. I know from hearing from friends on cruiser bikes... that they like wider back tires. It makes the bike like to stay up straight while riding. If you do alot of straight line riding I'd think the flatter the curve of a tire the better. Example: your tires would have more tire contacting the road while straight up. The flatter the curve the more tire touching the ground. This could lead to all kinds of positive things for the right reasons. If the contact patch is larger the tire wears alot longer because there's more to use. You get better traction from taking off because more tire is touching pavement. The only down side would be that if you ride hard in corners you would hit the sidewall edge of the tire too soon. And the bike probably wouldn't feel like it leans in as quick.
I guess My ideas are correct? I'm definitely not a rocket scientist. But I would think a 130 width rear tire wouldn't even affect the handling of the bike to even notice. I've got a 140width rear, I read on a site a guy had a 150width, he said "it handles awesome, much better than stock". Is their really that much difference between tire width sizes?(That'll be my next post) Heck... for $65 I'd just go for the 130width. I'm sure a 140 isn't much more, but that's why your bike is yours and mine is mine. You can do what you want with it, and I can do what I want with mine. Sorry this was soooooo loooonnnggg. But I feel like I might actually be helping someone today!!!![sm=happy046.gif]

Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Default RE: The skinny on tires? LOL!!!!!

Thanks, Chuck! I see where you're coming from in that figuring, and granted, if the footpeg ever hits the ground it will probably be supporting the weight of the bike--b/c the tire would be on the sidewall... but as I say, my biggest concern is getting the joker to seat. I've had such a dreadful time with so many motorcycle tires, it's just rediculous sometimes! But I think it's worth a little fighting, and I"ll let everyone know how it goes & such.... it will certainly be a bargain

Old 10-05-2006, 01:50 AM

SUCCESS! The tire, designed optimally for a 3" rim, seated fine on that 3.5 incher (with the aide of a tiedown strap around the circumference). It handles fine: not the tightest grip to the highway, but plenty enough for a tourer/carefully overcautious rider. Anyone on a tight budget, I do think this is a valid solution for tires.

Ride safe, live safe, but most importantly pray & pray often,
btoneone