CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Thermostat replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat replacement

Is there any car water thermostat that equals the stock one on CBR 1000 F ? Mine runs (maybe) on the cold side, and it would be simple and cheap if there is an equivalent for some car model. The temperature gauge indicates just above cold when the bike is warmed up, only a few millimeters into the normal area. Maybe that's still OK but it looks too low. When the fan starts, the temp gague points only at about eleven o clock, so maybe the indication is low rather than the coolant temperature. What are your experiences ?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Default RE: Thermostat replacement

My fan kicks in around 12'o'clock. I'm assuming your coolant level is good/ right mixture levels?

Old 06-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Noe

Mine is the same. When I drive normally the gauge indicator is just that couple of milimeters in the normal area, and fan starting approx at 11 o'clock when driving slow or standing still in trafic on hot summer days. So same story here. Never experienced any problems with it either.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do as written in pre-historic workshops manuals for cars, put the thermostat in heated water and register when it begins to open, and is fully open. I don't want to run the engine with under-temperature since that's real bad for the rings and cylinder walls. I have a feeling that the normal temperature should not be so far below fan-temperature as it is now, but I might be wrong for the first time [8D]. On the GSX R, normal temperature is +78 deg C and the fan starts at +85 deg C. I'll report my findings.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:18 PM

I think you should consider our Nordic climate.
The thermostate is made for LA.
As long as it´s in normal I think it´s ok. It could be risky playing with the temperatures.

My temperature is behaving the same as yours but when i´m in the Gothenburgh traffic I´m glad that it´s working hard to keep it cold.

Happy midsummer

Old 06-22-2006, 07:45 PM

I'm stubborn like an old mule, if the fan normally goes on/off at 12 o clock position, I beleive the water thermostate should go on/off at about 9 to 11 o clock to maintain the optimal engine operating temperature. I'll dig more into this to eliminate that risk of beeing using a sleece-ball thermostate.

Happy midsummer back to you.

/ Mike

Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 PM

Mine sits about a couple of millimetres from the left, but the fan kicks in after 12 by a few millimetres.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Thermostate now verified OK in heated water, the opening temperature and valve lift was as specified in the Haynes manual. I also attached a metal thermo probe to the water neck and noted that the operating temperature is almost 80 deg C when the gauge is only a few mm into normal.

On wednesday, back to Nurburg ring, however by car this time [&:]

Old 06-26-2006, 07:32 PM

My car mechanic said, to test a radiator for blockages, they scan it with a laser temp probe looking for cool points. I guess you would able to use a contact probe as well.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 AM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

..... they scan it with a laser temp probe looking for cool points.....
Good point, thanks for the info ! I was thinking buying a hand held laser gauge to learn some about tyre temperatures, check the house for leaks, radiator adjustmens etc., now I got another reason. The cost less than $ 100 know when they have become quite common.

Quick Reply: Thermostat replacement