CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Temp switch for fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Temp switch for fan

I wired in a manual override switch as well and have never had a problem with it draining the battery. It is wired to shut off when the key off. It works great for traffic. My swtich is mountedin the plastic fairing to the left of the speedo.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:42 PM

My fan switch died a while ago & instead of paying the extortionist price Honda were asking I installed a manual switch. I've found it works very well. It also comes in handy when tuning etc. No more shutting down to wait for the bike to cool down. The only problem is in heavy traffic it is annoying. I haven't flattened the battery yet but maybe a matter of time. I think I'll replace the Honda switch with a new one but still keep the manual (best of both worlds). I did have a quick search for an adjustable fan switch but they cost even more that the Honda part.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

ORIGINAL: Shadow
My only concern would be draining the battery......??
Do you think over riding and running the fan for 10-15 minutes at a time in traffic would flatten the battery enough to bother them Pete ?
If the engine is running, it should never have any effect on the battery. The battery is only there for start ups and to bea buffer by the charging system. Once the engine is running, the alternator is supplying all the electrical needs of the bike. Now if the bypass is not hooked up to a switched +12V, it can draing the battery but onlyif left on after shut down.

All the engines I've worked on over the years were like this, so I can't imagine the Hurricane being any different.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you'd need to run it for that long - 5 minutes with the fan on makes quite a difference on my bike. I'm more concerned with the finicky electrical system, although since I fitted the replacement reg/rec that puts out better current at lower revs, I don't think it'd affect me.
The traffic situation doesn't lend itself to battery charging as we know, continual crawl at low revs, so who knows what load the battery could take ?
I'm probably worried about nothing..........[X(]

BTW Imo, the std charging system on a CBR/Hurricane only operates from around 2500 RPM, so crawling in traffic can and often will flatten the battery ! We've done plenty of research on this, believe me ! They aren't the same as what you've worked on. Put a voltmeter across your battery and see !

Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 AM

Once your battery's a bit down, you need to run above 3000RPM for a while, so the battery can take the 14.5 - 15V the stator will deliver. I'm not certain how long it would take, probably around 10-15K's or so, but my voltmeter tells me when things are not as they should be. I'd recommend one for every Hurricane owner. Here's mine, for the benefit of newer members - $24 from California Performance.My bike runs at a constant 14.5V when on the freeway, and up to 15.5V when the battery's a bit low.Reg/rec charges from 1400RPM, from www.electrexworld.com.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 AM

Just connects to an ignition live ( Mine's wired to my lights, which are live when ignition's on)
Another to the constant live on the battery, and earth to the battery. Total time to fit (apart from hiding the wires under the fairing) about 10 mins.
Gives you constant voltage at the battery, even with the ignition off.
Has a 24 hr clock, a lap timer (!) and internal and external air temp gauges.
Audible alarm when voltage drops below 12.
4 LCD's in diff colours for charge rate.
Has internal lights too so can be read in the dark.
Good value if you've had the problems I have had !!

Quick Reply: Temp switch for fan