CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Temp gauge goes off the charts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm with you Shadow. In the past there has been deaths caused by a side-stand left down. That's why the manufactures had to install the safety switch. There has been times recently when I have forgotten to raise mine and the switch kill the engine. 2-thumbs up for the switch.

That cheap little switch can save a life, save injuries or $$$ in repairs form dropping the bike.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They definitely put them on there for a good reason....

Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Assuming I survive the crash, I'll be sure to let everyone here know of the aftermath if I ride off with the stand down.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody's dissing you, we all are just suggesting that the jobs not done till
you replace the switch. You've done good so far, the hard part, in fact. Figuring
out the problem is usually the hardest part. Shorting across is ok for a few days,
but not long term. Some of us are speaking from the boo-boo side of this discussion.
Trust me, 'pogo'ing your bike sucks, and it only has to happen once.

Besides that, it just ain't classy to have your bike be less than 100%.

I hope this helps, Ern

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Before I share my anecdote, I'll agree, No one is dissing you bro,not the point here in CBRland. We make jokes and play, the guys that know each other play rough, but they are buddies and it's all good - what we are saying is think about it. Now my story;
Long time rider This happened on a 1967 Norton Atlas to give an idea how long I've been out there.
Of course the bike had no sidestand switch,but I never forgot to kick it up right? Riding was a ritual, check kill switch, kick start with the right foot,kick up side-stand with left, engage gear on right and I'm off.How could you forget?
Well after a while I got in a hurry, kick-started the bike and rode off and I DID forget. The resulting tip over didn't hurt me or the bike much,I was young, the bike had no plastics. I replaced the mirror and a brake lever but never forgot again. Fast forward in time to my 86 Concurs. Stop at 7/11 come back ,Start the bike,put in gear...and it dies. I'm thinking what is wrong with it. I repeated this a few times, it starts right up, dies when I put it in gear and the shame of it was a guy in a car walks over and says,your kickstand is down. You can imagine how this ol rider felt.
More importantly the Kaw has plastics, a few more horses and I'm a bit older. Damage report would not have been the same.
Moral of my long-winded story, it doesn't occur to me to wire around the side-stand switch. Years in the saddle have taught me to be grateful the mfgs thought about that little detail.
Be safe my man.....

Old 01-17-2012, 05:02 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Now you've get me all worried.

My '87 doesn't have a kickstand switch. Does certain death and destruction await me every time I leave the garage?

Boots, gloves, helmet, kickstand up, it's kind of like making sure you're not going to back over your children playing in the driveway with your Subaru isn't it?

If you guys keep up all this certain death talk I'm just gonna sell the old girl, wrap myself in cotton wool and never get out of bed.

But then I'll probably get bedsores that will ulcerate and kill me anyway.

Pfffft, what are my choices? I'll take my chances with the kickstand.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'Do what thou will shall be the only law'

Horse water.... ect ect..... Personally I like mine

Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

OMG, I've just been downstairs and had a closer look. It would appear I also don't have ABS or traction control!!!!!

Does anyone want a free (but clearly very dangerous) bike?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:49 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
OMG, I've just been downstairs and had a closer look. It would appear I also don't have ABS or traction control!!!!!

Does anyone want a free (but clearly very dangerous) bike?

Can you deliver?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, TK will you part it out ?

I rolled my bike down into my driveway the other day without starting the engine.........................guess what the grinding noise was................

Do what thou will shall be the only law' Yup but don't we always try to put old heads on young shoulders ?

Quick Reply: Temp gauge goes off the charts?