CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Talk about luck... 87mk1

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Great to see the video Epic.

It doesn't appear to be consistently turning the motor over - which IMHO again points to the Altenator shaft and something on that, either the starter clutch or the alternator damper.

If it were me, I'd be pulling that and checking both those units.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^

+1 the tension er is there is kaput and the chain is jumping

or
could be as simple as getting that tensioner pawl to bite/reengage to get
tension back on the chain

Last edited by Sprock; 08-01-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havin a tuff time tryin to upload pics .. won't let me choose wear to get the file from ... So I only had about 2 hours to tear into the motor then life got in the way .... So I started the project , took out the starter motor and then took out the bolt to get access to the bolt that holds the altanator shift ( think that's what its called ) and upon inspection I found 2 marks on the bolts shift .. so I continued and went to loosen the bolt on the altanator shaft and it was basiclly complty off !!! Only took a slight turn to take off competly ! .. tryed to put it back on and it didn't grab "/ seems like its stripped not sure .. but the bolt doesn't look stripped it looks like the shaft it gets screwed onto is what's stripped .. should I go any further ? Should I look inside and see if any more damage is done ? Mite as well since I'm half way there right !

Old 08-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK so the alternator was moving around and causing damage/nasty noises via the primary chain (what it sounds like to me was the gear on the alternator shaft grinding against the chain.....)or perhaps the starter clutch not engaging with the gears. Either way you'd get a nasty noise.
Did you read the "how to" on replacing the alternator damper ? If not you should.
Take the alternator out and see if the nut that goes on the end of the shaft can be sorted out, or you'll need to rethread.........

Old 08-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Registered Users

Yes I did read it I'm useing It as a guide . Didn't get that far into taking it apart but plan to , to see if further damage was done and what needs to be replaced .

Old 08-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Registered Users

ok so on the altinator shaft the threads are no good .. the altinator shaft is in great condition considering the stripped threads to screw on the bolt . also ( if i could i would but my phone wont let me upload pic , dont know y ) the gear and chain look great to .. not sure if i should continue and take the damper out or not to see if it is damaged somewear else within the damper . at this point i need a lil advise even tho im following the guide as to what to do next ? should i get a "new" altinator and see if its a fix? should i continue and just get the new damper becouse it is the damper ? could it be something else ? all veiws and comments are excepted

Old 08-04-2012, 02:13 AM

should i get a "new" altinator
1 Leave the damper in unless you are having problems with it.
Take the alternator out and ask an engineering shop to put a new thread on the end with a new nut. If you looked at the price of even a secondhand alternator you wouldn't ask.
Much cheaper and quicker.
Buy a ratchet ring spanner for the new nut or you'll be doing it all day, one flat at a time.
Trust me on this.....

Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Buy a ratchet ring spanner for the new nut or you'll be doing it all day, one flat at a time.
Trust me on this.....
+1

Didn't even quibble with the advice when I was given it. The moment I started pulling down the starter/alternator and had to undo that bolt - I blessed the wisdom on this site

I had gone out and bought a ratchet spanner set in anticipation.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered Users

So rethread and bolt together and problem should be solved ? And yea I deff need one of those rachet spanners cuz I new right away that I would need one of those

Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Hopefully yes.
Check it and report back please.............

Quick Reply: Talk about luck... 87mk1