Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO - stator field coils & or R/R issue

Check the mid harness plug to the R/R see if it's burned or corroded

Don't panic buy a motor yet - take a deep breath and get methodical
checking things out first

Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, that could fix the chugging, but will it stop the oil from getting into the exhaust???

The smoke started off as a little then alot!! then if I let it idle the smoke slows down, but if I ride it it starts spewing smoke. I did test the r/r or well the volts at idle and at 5000 rpm.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Was the bike left out to freeze over the winter ?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about a charging problem given what you measured, even slightly high at the 5000rpm. If the battery is weak,(how does it crank?) it would cause a weak spark under load even if the charging system was good. You can not really check the health of the charging system without a fully charged healthy battery first.
Compression test for sure to look for rings or valve issue, also check valve lash on suspect cylinder. Using a differential type will let you listen where the leaks are,ie; in/ex or rings. listen at the carbs, tailpipe, and oil filler port while under pressure.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by outlawfox13
Ok, that could fix the chugging, but will it stop the oil from getting into the exhaust???

The smoke started off as a little then alot!! then if I let it idle the smoke slows down, but if I ride it it starts spewing smoke. I did test the r/r or well the volts at idle and at 5000 rpm.

Well that is starting to sound like rings or head gasket - I had the same problem with a GSX1100 recently.

Can you get (borrow) one of those small flexible camera thingys. I borrowed on, took all the plugs out and looked down the bores at the pistons/bores/valves. It also showed large oil weeps from the cylinder head gasket into the bores - hence oodles of smoke.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers, SB

Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Yes, she was outside all winter, i dont have a garage. I will do what i can to diagnose for compression. She cranks and fires easily with a lil choke. I will report back when i figure this out. Hopefully she will live again.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Oh, and litterally i get a small puddle of oil out the exhaust weep hole(or rust hole) and im getting oil splatter out the exhaust.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by outlawfox13
...Oh I tried to do a compression test, but my tester doesnt fit the spark plug thread.

mike
Here's a 12mm spark plug hole to 14mm compression tester adapter: Compression Tester Spark Plug Adaptor 12 Mm | eBay Or maybe your hardware or auto parts store can make one up for you.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Thanks Poke, Ill look into one. I ran the bike today on the center stand all the way up to 6th gear till she started to smoke pretty bad. I shut her down then pulled the plugs and no oil fouling on any. Man this is freakin weird!!! maybe its burning off with the fuel and just not enough to foul plugs??? I am looking for a camera to look inside the cyl head before I rip her open. I can get a used motor for around 350 and saw a 94 wrecked listed for 500 so i have options. And I just got an intruder 800cc for my buddy but he has no license so looks like I may be riding that to keep it ready till he gets his license. More to follow tomorrow(I Have seafoam soaking in the cyls for 24 hrs).

Mike

Old 03-14-2013, 07:19 PM

Me thinks she may have froze - popped the cylinder head gasket or maybe even
developed a crack in the head since as it gets more heat as you run it, it progressively
smokes worse. A pool of oil is to me indicative of something like a crack but hopefully
not and just the head gasket is junk

Quick Reply: Stutter on acceleration