CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Street fighter questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street fighter questions

I wrecked my bike about a month ago. I'm now starting to look for replacement parts. I have found that plastics are very hard to find. Since this is the case I was thinking about turning it into more of a street fighter. I have a couple questions for those that have done this or seen it done on another bike.

1. Will I have to get a new guage pod that has water proof connections on the back?
2. How much more wind will I get when I'm doing 80mph down the highway?
3. Do you have any pictures during your swap that you could share?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Default RE: Street fighter questions

Hi Drew,
I wrecked mine under a semi trailer a while ago and the cost of the fairings was more than the value of the bike so I fightered it. I have a front bikini fairing off a dirt bike on mine with a proper headlight assy not the useless "cyclops" style ones that use household downlight bulbs in them. As for wind, there is no comparison between fairings and no fairings. I dont mind the wind at speed but I came off big bore dirt bikes onto road bikes to start with.
The bikini fairing puts the wind straight onto your chest and head so it can get a bit tiring and the bugs hurt a bit! No lower fairing means cool knees too. Having said that I like the look of a "naked" bike and the frame gives its self to fairly extensive modification for fighter bits. Im working on a new subframe and seat unit with under seat exhaust. and have put a single sided swingarm in too. Have a look (search) for grwilson6 on here, he's fightered his too and it looks great.
Phill

Old 06-13-2007, 06:46 PM

heres a couple of pics for ideas. the first one is mine on the first round of mods, the second on is one i found on the net.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10571/624FFAF7C33849FD840D66D0E17C146B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10571/0D726B2E1E044E04B507DE1066C14C66.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 PM

heres one of Garrets fighter. ( i hope he dosent mind!)

[IMG]local://upfiles/10571/31911347988049F2AB8195EAEB865948.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 PM

Phil,

Thanks for the reply's and pictures. I think that I may do something like Garrets, but slightly different. Another question, did you use the stock gauge cluster or something else? This is where I'm having the biggest problem. I'm not sure what to do about the gauges.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 PM

If you're looking for guages, this guy has a set from a '90 listed on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-Cb...28433875QQrdZ1They are a little pricey, but...... For what it's worth, he also has a lot of the plastics listed, again not cheap but still cheaper than new pieces.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:54 AM

I bought mine already street fightered but it wasn't done very well. It had the original gauge cluster with a small 3.5" headlight bolted to the underside.

I'm redoing it with an Acerbis Cyclopto headlight which actually works pretty well and it's DOT approved. It has dual 55w H3 bulbs so there is plenty of light.

As for the gauges, I'm putting on a Trail tech Vapor It's made for dirt bikes but the tech said that it should work on my bike. It has speed, RPM, water temp, outside air temp, Clock, timer, shift light etc and it's resonably priced.

You could put a round speedo on the CBR from just about any japanese bike but the tach is a little bit harder, a round electronic speedo could probally be rigged up easily.

Still not sure what I'm doing with the bodywork though.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM

hey nolan have you put your vapor on yet? i also got one but i haven't got around to puttin it on yet, wondering how it went if ya had. are you gonna go with some motocross bars to clamp it to or are you gonna make it fit onto your triples. do you have pics of your bike on here yet, not sure if i've seen em or not. to get back to the original question i do catch quite a bit of wind goin down the road but its something i can put up with. i do have a flyscreen i plan on putting on too but not sure how much wind that will deflect if any.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Ive looked at the Veypor guages too, they look the goods. the Acewells look good too but there is only 1 model that replicates all the functions of the old dash and I cant get it here in Aus as yet.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:27 PM

ducati_nolan, do you have any pics of your bike? I am really looking at the headlight setup that you got. I think that it will look good, and will function nicely along with the Veypor guages. Just wondering how the hookup went for you and what model of the Veypor you got.

Quick Reply: Street fighter questions