CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Stator, Alternator dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator, Alternator dilemma

I was rear ended a few weeks ago, not too bad. Nothing cosmetic done to the bike. Told the people not to worry. The next day, after riding for a bit over an hour. I was stuck at an intersection with a dead battery. Thought the hit may have hurt the battery, replaced it. Few days later, dead again. I replaced the regulator, and checked to make sure the stator wasn't grounding, it wasn't. So started the bike up, and it will only charge to about 12.58 volts at like 5000rpms. and will drop around 11.79 if i let it idle. Isn't the battery suppose to be charging around 14volts? Could one or two of the loops on the stator be broken? What plan of action should I take?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Default RE: Stator, Alternator dilemma

If there was no damage to the bike, I would say that the hit would have probably not cause any damage to the elcticals, and that these two things are unrelated.

11.8 and 12.6 volts ain't good
check some of the earthing (Grounding being the proper term)for the battery and r/r connections and stuff.
also check where the car hit just incase there is some sort of short going on.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM

The car hit pretty hard, it was a low car though, and hit the back tire when I stopped short, lurched the bike forward pretty hard, just thinking it may have caused something to break. I had the bike running, and slowly removed the fuses (headlights, guages, ect) and it still wouldn't charge higher.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

See Naga Thai's posts on the charging system. It's the same diagnostic I used.
http://tinyurl.com/6fnjdq
When you replaced the battery, did you charge it for 12 hours before installation ?
Bike batteries don't charge like cars, and you need a good basic charge to run the bike.
A poor battery may turn the bike over, but it won't start ![X(]

Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Alright, when to put a new alternator on today, and after running to the store for some longer allen wrenches, and snapping on of the bolts of. I called it quits for that, and went to start the bike, to see if it would charge higher without the headlight fuses and such in since there was a new regulator. Well, went to start the bike and the battery is dead. So my thought maybe there isn't any charging problems, maybe there's a short? Well, took the ammeter, and removed one side of the battery, ran it accross the ammeter, no current flowing, so I think it's safe to say it's not a short. My next question, do you think it's possible the regulator failed, ruined the battery, than ruined the new battery i put in? The battery was completely charged last night off the charger, should still be able to start the bike today, it reads twelve volts, but just has no juice.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 PM

Sounds like you have power drainage somewhere, unless the new battery was faulty (it's been known to happen) A fried regulator could drain the battery, but only with the power left on, and it shouldn't happen overnight. The battey fries because the regulator can't regulate the current any more, causing too much current into the battery, which boils the battery water until it's dry, then fries the reg/rec.Motor has to be running for that to happen.....All I can suggest is to go through the step by step charging system guidelines again - I had to do it twice before I isolated my fault, which was in the stator cover, where the coils had burnt - you couldn't even see a problem, but when tested, there it was. Wish I could be more specific......[X(]

Old 09-26-2008, 12:29 AM

+1 Shadow.

Follow the diagnostic chart and you should find the fault.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Figured out the battery was not at fault, poor connections on the starter solenoid. Cleaned that up, still leaving me with the charging problem. Been trying to get the stator off, but it seems 15 years has made the bolts unmovable. I snapped one, and stripped the other two. My question is now, if I want to remove the whole charging system, via the three bolts on the alternator, behind the stator, will I be able to get it back together, without taking apart the engine? If I go on bike bandit, http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...f-1993/o/m2020you can see that the back end has to fit into the engine, a gear of some sort i assume, is it safe to remove the whole thing without worrying about having to take the engine apart to fix it?

Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 PM

Your starter clutch fits on the other end - only member I know who has removed it successfully without engine removal is Kaska - look up his posts - he has pictures

Old 09-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi sloppydawg123 i forgot to tell you on email that you should be careful not dropping the chain into engine - it should not drop easily but it mights o it would be good idea to guard it with screwdriver or something. you can see the chain http://www.zone.ee/kaspar10/CBR/pages/IMG_6263.htm if you are lucky you even don't have to remove it but still be alerted not to drop it into engine.

Quick Reply: Stator, Alternator dilemma