CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

starter motor, clutch or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: in need of a starter solenoid and clutch lever

the starter motor turns but the motor does not all lights come one and work so i do think its an electrical issue. seems as if its the starter clutch or possibly (hope to god it isnt) alternator chain

Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the starter turns, but the motor does not, it could be a stripped gear on the starter motor, or at least worn teeth, I don't think it'll be the primary chain.........Maybe something simple like a defective kill switch, an earth or some other "spark related" problem.......hard to tell from here.....
maybe just the springs in the starter motor, not strong enough to engage the starter.......

Old 03-04-2008, 12:06 PM

good idea, ill pull the starter tonight and see what i can find out, was also thinking of trying to bump start it to see if the motor will turn over

Old 03-04-2008, 12:30 PM

Try turning the engine over by hand first to see if it is okay.Nothing binding up or even worse, seized ( Gill hates that word!)Then your two basics....fuel and spark. If you have a voltmeter, check to see if you have voltage on the primary ignition first. then I would check to see if I have spark at the plug. If thats good, then check to ensure you have fuel getting inside the combustion chamber. If you check those items first it WILL save you alot of time and effort.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 PM

NOT A GOOD IDEA...!!
Rather remove the left side cover plate, and put a socket on the crankshaft nut, after putting some oil down the barrels. Rotate it slowly, and stop if you feel any resistance, which generally will mean a stuck or bent valve. Move it gently back and forth to see if it'll free itself, sometimes a sticky valve can be loosened this way. Once it rotates freely, all the way round, then by all means have a go at a bump start.
If you try to bump start it, and there's a bent or broken valve, or ring, you'll do serious and expensive damage to the head, bores, pistons valves etc.
I would agree with Gill (hi Gill)on the rest, but find out if something's stuck first.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 PM

ok So I pulled the starter and it seems to spin with some good force. now when i checked the gear that the starter spins inside the motor it was pretty loose and would only spin freely one way. however this seems to be the same direction that the starter spins in. does anyone know if this should be right or is something pretty screwed up.

and i gently rotated the crank as you suggested and it spins pretty good up untill the compression starts to build up. I am going to pull the plugs tomarow and try spinning the motor by hand again to get everything lubed up and moving again.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Yes you should remove the plugs before turning the crank, and do what Shadow suggested by putting some lubricant in the cylinder. If it hasnt been running for a while it would avoid any metal to metal friction. Ensure you mark your plugs and wiresbefore removing them to make things easier when you go to assemble. Take a good look at the plugs when they come out. If you have any compressed air, give the plug holes a good blast of air to blow any crap out of the tubes. I have found they can hold some pretty nasty things that you definitly dont want falling inside your cylinder after you remove your plugs.

Starter motor has a sprague clutch to keep the starter motor from turning the opposite direction...this is normal. If the engine decides to kick-back in the opposite direction its suppose to, it forces the starter teeth to disengage from the flywheel preventing damage.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM

As far as I know the gear should be on a "bendix"-or sprague type arrangement, which allows the starter gear to spin back from the flywheel when the motor starts- if it didn't your starter would be constantly engaged with your flywheel, which is not a good thing.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:01 AM

whats weird is that it seems that the motor spins freely in the motor but the grear that it attaches to seems that it is in working order

Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM

From what you say the starter isn't engaging with the flywheel.....maybe check the starter out of the bike and see that when you connect the power, that the small gear jumps outward to engage the flywheel. If it doesn't, there's your problem.......there is an actuator, powered by magnetism in most starters, which makes the small pinion gear jump out and engage the flywheel. If this isn't working, the starter can't engage.......and just spins.
Stupid thought for the day - maybe the wiring has been reversed ? Sounds super dumb I know, but you never know......most motors will run in both directions, depending on polarity, and if it's wrong, the sprague will run in reverse, and never engage.......

Quick Reply: starter motor, clutch or worse?