CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   starter motor, clutch or worse? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/starter-motor-clutch-worse-60919/)

GARMIN1000F 02-27-2008 04:43 PM

starter motor, clutch or worse?

so looks like some dimwhit had tried to start the bike with the wrong battery and fried the starter solenoid. Does anyone have one that is known to work? If so please let me know

also in need of a clutch lever if available.

IDoDirt 02-27-2008 07:50 PM

RE: in need of a starter solenoid and clutch lever

For clarification, when you're referring to the "Starter Solinoid", do you mean the "Starter Relay" ?

Shadow 02-27-2008 10:15 PM

I have a complete starter motor for an 87/88 model. Let me know if you need it. Have you done the basic tests in Sect 16 of the manual ? It may be something else, like a sidestand or clutch switch........

Trips 02-28-2008 05:21 AM

Do a search on Ebay etc. You can use any generic 4 pin fused Solenoid as long as its rated to 30A. SHould be able to pickup one from a Auto Sparky for $30 or so.

GILL 02-28-2008 07:53 AM

how would you "fry" your starter relay with the incorrect battery? Wouldnt it have to be a higher voltage than a standard 12V battery? Perhaps boosting it from a car maybe....but 12 volts is 12 volts. In any case the 30A fuse should have popped before the relay, check that first.

clutch levers are 10.00 from the Honda Dealer here and they come all shiny and new!

GARMIN1000F 02-28-2008 09:41 AM

hmmm. the starter motor turns over when connected to the battery but not through the relay. what else could it possibly be? it could be any relay rated 30 amps?

Trips 03-01-2008 09:10 PM

Check all the wiring to the Solenoid as it sees to burn out over time meaning the same current has a smaller contact area to flow though causing even more burnout.

cdrewferd 03-02-2008 07:39 PM

I am parting out my 91, let me know if you need any parts. I have everything but the front calipers, clutch and swingarm avaliable.

GARMIN1000F 03-04-2008 07:48 AM

ok so i replaced the starter relay and now the starter will turn over but the motor will not..... so i guess im going to have to pull the motor, alt. and starter clutch tonight. I have seen one post here about doing this with the motor in the frame so I am going to give it a try and have my girl take lots of pics while i tear it all apart

Shadow 03-04-2008 09:06 AM

Do you mean it won't turn over, ie siezed, or won't fire, ie start ??
Before you go to those extremes, do all the checks in the manual.......may
save you a load of trouble.......