CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Starter damper

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Starter damper

As some of you may be aware, the damper on my bike is on it's last legs, and won't spin the motor when the bike is hot.................................aaaaaaaaaarg
My questions are these

1 I've been reading Stu's fantastic article on how to replace the damper, but I'm at a loss on how to get enough slack in the chain to "massage it" off the damper sprocket. Anyone have any advice ?

2 There was a comment somewhere about using a bike spoke to loosen the tensioner, through a hole - could someone explain how ?

3 is there a trick to getting the teeth on the starter clutch and the damper to line up..................how do you know when it's wrong ?

4 Instead of shoving a 2mm washer in the damper to take up any slack would it be possible to add a fibre plate and another steel plate........(thanks to Mo for the 3 spare plates)

5 How do you clean the plates to get them to bite again - water paper or what ?
Any advice would be welcome.
Where's Kaska. and Naga Thai....................
Don't just tell me to buy a new unit - can't get at under 150 US delivered, without import duty and 14% tax.......

Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pete!
Have been celebrating the midsummer day in here and was on a little trip. As the sun almost doesn't set and its warm outside its perfect riding weather
so some answers
1. i don't know how good condition will be your tensioner but i managed to get the chain of and on again with simple Swedish army knife.
2. the spoke theory i don't know i used knife.
3. i don't know if i understand the question but why would you want to line them up? if it will go back together its right, but as damper still sometimes slips the teeth cannot ever be lined up?
or do you mean when putting it back together and the damper is already in and chain tensioned and then you put the shaft back in - then you must feel it with fingers or so from the little hole under starter engine i used the shaft bolt to help guide the shaft to its place
4.well it can get too tight but if you manage to get them in why not.
5. I cleaned the plates with motul brake clean contact cleaner and water paper and after you put them back together change the order of plates to gain some new friction.

But all in all, good luck doing the job. Take some beers close to you and don't lose temper tightening bolts

Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 PM

Congratulations on midsummer - thanks for the advice Kaspar
Any contributions are welcome........

Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM

Here's my contribution, but only when you've done the job

Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
I recon the spoke trick is the only way mate ..

Pete ...I recon the advice above from druncle is the way to go... mixing the buggers up will make the wear grooves mis align and cause them to grip...

Dunno about rubbing them with wet and dry paper though ....wont that just make them slip more ??
I spoke to Pete on the phone last night, clarified a couple of things of what I'd done. The spoke thing is worth ago, but I found the chain came off quite easily when the shaft was removed cos the damper was free to drop slightly. I found when I was presenting the shaft (with all it's bits on) into the damper the wasn't no slack cos the tensioner was hard on, but with the the socket on the end it pulled up ok.
As far as rubbing the plates down with wet n dry, Hmmmm. I think you'd want to roughen them slightly and not go overboard with the wet n dry.
Another thing keeps shouting at me is the use of diesel engine oil, I know lots of folks are running it with no adverse effects, maybe not....
Keep us posted on your progress, I know you said that you're gonna be busy for a few weeks, but the job will only take a few hours and you'll be surprised how easy it is once you've completed it.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:31 AM

Thanks to all -
I just bought a kids tool kit so I can hit things without any damage...........!!!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:40 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shadow
Thanks to all -
I just bought a kids tool kit so I can hit things without any damage...........!!!
Sweeeet! Is that the one with the squeaky hammer?? I want one too

Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 AM

Hi shadow, the bike spoke trick was the only way I could figure to do this job without an engine strip. Once I'd figured it out (pure desperation), it worked without a hitch, and I'd have no real worries if I had to replace another now. As I mentioned before, that tensioner on the chain needs releasing to get the damper sprocket back in place; theres no other way round the situation if the tensioner is doing its job. As posted, the release pawl/ratchet thing has a little hole on its upper side which allows this. First thing I did was to feel aroundthrough the alt hole with the spoke to find the position of the release mechanism. Once a rough idea is got as to where this is, the spoke can be bent to the appropriate shape, which takes a lot of fiddling, and then inserted from the starter motor hole. It needs to go in that way, otherwise it gets in the way of everything.The chain tension can be released once this is done. Make sure the end of the spoke is filed nice and smooth otherwise it can catch in the release mechanism when you try to withdraw. I used bicycle spoke as it is narrow enough to go into the release hole, but thick enough to have the necessary rigidity. Good luck, send a post if in any doubt,
Cheers John

Quick Reply: Starter damper