CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Standard Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard Tires

Does anyone know the factory tire that should be on the 88 cdr1000f. Radial or Bias??

Thanks
Ed

Ride like the wind.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:32 PM
dad
Default RE: Standard Tires

I don't know the sizes but they were definitely bias. First year for radials was '90.

Based on my recent experience with an EX-500, I wouldn't hesitate to change them to radials, even recommend it. Stay with the nearest equivalent size. And do both, not one of each.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Standard Tires

For sure they are Bias......and don't ask me how I know.
Front 110/80 V 17
Rear 140/80 V 17

Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Default RE: Standard Tires & Cam Chain

When I got the bike it has got Radials on it so . . . . . . . . I'm not asking how you know Red Baron??
I guess I need to get rid of the Radial Dunlops. . .

Just took the valved cover off and tested the slack on the cam chain. I can move it up and down with a screwdriver on the front about 1/8". Would that require a replacement cam chain?
I'm not sure since the bike has been sitting for 2 months now.
Does the chain get slacker if the cam tensioner isn't pumped up with oil?

The Honda dealer wants 115.00 cdn for the cam chain. I'm hoping there is an aftermarket one avail.

Ed

Old 01-07-2006, 11:25 PM
dad

At 25,000 kilometers I wouldn't worry about it at all. Check the valve adjustment and button it up. And yes, aftermarkets are available through typical aftermarket vendors. I could look and see where mine came from if it became an issue. If it has a cam chain rattle when cold, start thinking about the tensioner but you probably wouldn't need a chain yet. I posted my experience with them in a recent "cam chain re-visited" thread.

And if you need to adjust the valves, the factory wrench is almost a must for getting at the front (exhaust) lock nuts. If you saw one, you could probably fab it up with a piece of 1/2" rod, a deepwell socket, and a welder, but it's about twenty-five bucks from Honda.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:49 AM

ORIGINAL: 88RedBlack

When I got the bike it has got Radials on it so . . . . . . . . I'm not asking how you know Red Baron??
I guess I need to get rid of the Radial Dunlops. . .

Ed
Dunlops makes Bias tires too, just in case.
Please state if you have factory or aftermarket wheels/rims and what tire size you have on your bike.
Perhaps you have to get rid of the "Dunlop Radials", since the FACTORY rims and suspension were not designed for radial tires.
Check with your Honda dealer and READ the forum and magazines about wheel/rims and suspension designed for bias, that they are not compatible with radial tires.
.....but what do I know, I have only had the 1988 Honda Hurricane 2 tone Silver since new and have replaced tires only a couple of times in 18 years.
Then again everything in Canada is different, so go figure out what the hell you have.

...and here you go straight from the horses mouth, DUNLOP FAQ, enjoy.[sm=yikesomg.gif]

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...q.asp?id=2#faq

Hope this clears any doubts for you, about what tires should be on your motorcycle.
After all, you are only risking your life

Old 01-08-2006, 04:24 AM
dad

I recall a concern with beads fitting rims properly on some older wire spoked wheels but I'm not aware of any with the tubeless rims. The suspensions to deal with the better capability of the radials is a partial reason for claims of compatability with older bias shod bikes but I'm not aware of any legitimate reason to NOT do it. The grip IS better with the new rubber and for my money and little bit of experience with it, that's still a nice improvement.

The reason I referenced an EX-500 in my above post is because I just recently changed the stock bias tires it came with to radials after discussing it with just about anybody who rode an EX at the track. Thay all do it and HIGHLY recommend it, even though the rear size is such a GROSS mis-match. The stock is a 130 and the smallest radial is a 150. I wouldn't normally have chanced that big a change myself but after talking to those riding them as well as the tire vendor, I did it. A DRAMATIC improvement that underscored just how cheesey the stock suspension was. I've worn out one rear and onto another now, redid the front springs and installed cartridge emulators, and with THAT additional improvement, it underscores just how bad the rear is. Getting to work on that now. Even without the suspension changes, the bike was much more trustworthy with the better rubber.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a similar outcome on a Hurricane and would CERTAINLY give it a try if I had one of the older ones. Especially with the sizes available being reasonably close and a suspension that's not as cheesey as the stock EX-500. JMO, of course.

BTW, If I was tire manufacturer I would have a statement just like the one you linked to from Dunlop. They aren't taking on that potential for liability nor would I in their shoes.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:58 PM

And I bet, that you won't hesitate to go sue the tire manufacturer, if your tire fail and causes and accident.

The tire that was fitted in the Hurricane(as all other bikes) was selected after many engineers designed the bike suspension and geometry aided by very powerful computers, with many hours of R&D and many more hours of GREAT & EXPERIENCED test riders giving their input.
The manual was PRINTED by HONDA and did not come from the tire manufacturer DUNLOP.
The sticker on the bike for tire recomendations, also came from HONDA and not DUNLOP.
Sorry, but I rather bet my money and life chances, with the Honda engineers and test riders, than the subjective opinion of a stranger.
Just because nothing has happen(yet), doesn't means it never will.

Track events are under a controlled setting and races don't last as long as a 220 to 230 mile in a ride.
Suspension, rims, tire pressure, brake pads, lighter component parts and geometry are most surely altered for the track.
Track and street are 2 different environments(do I have to explain that one), ea. debri on the road, different surface composition, grooves/patterns, pot holes.....etc.

I have asked before to change from Bias to Radials and every time I do, I get the same answer: "DON"T DO IT".
ea. Honda dealer in Puerto Rico, Manhattan Motorcycles in New York, Honda of Dallas, Metric Motorcycle Mech in McKinney, Tx.
This subject has come up few times in Motorcyclist and Cycle World magazines and the response is ALWAYS the same: "DON"T DO IT".
Every motorcycle Forum I read (except for this one) say the same thing: "DON"T DO IT".
Can soooooo many people, with sooo much more experience and knowledge be soooo wrong and you so right????
Are they all on the payroll of Dunlop and all the other tire manufacturers????...because if they are, I want in.

I think, it is irresponsible from you to say "it's OK to do", without any hard FACTUAL evidence of good research and years of experience in the field that can contradict the above.
I have been around, I love my life and want to be around many more years and I will try to minimize the dangers in my risk taking.
I don't want to be nominated for a DARWIN AWARD any time soon.[8D]
If not convinced yet, bring it up on a poll and lets see the responses.
I'll bet the majority will tell you: "DON"T DO IT".

88RedBlack, I only wish you good Karma.
Peace[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 01-08-2006, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: dad

BTW, If I was tire manufacturer I would have a statement just like the one you linked to from Dunlop. They aren't taking on that potential for liability nor would I in their shoes.
Why wouldn't they???
The tires are different in design and perform/behave differently under load while rolling.
Am I missing something here?????

Questions for you dad:
Since there are no ill effects from changing bias to radial(so you say), is there any ill effect in mounting a tire backwards????
Also, what are your tire pressure recomendations for these Dunlop radials mounted on 88RedBlack bike and why???
Do they have to match in brand???
Why not mix Bias and Radial???

Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the link Red Baron very interesting. By what I am hearing is that the bike came with Bias tires and when I got the bike it came with Dunlop Radial Sportmax 140/70ZR17 on the rear and Dunlop Radial Sportmax 110/80ZR17 on the front. Both rims are factory, this bike is completely stock (except for the tires). I would like to keep it completely stock. It looks sharp with way it is. It's a head turner the way it is.

So I will be having a massive smoke show [8D] as soon as the weather warms up. You guys are the best, love to hear everyones opinion. Like you said the Mfg spent so much time on R&D that what makes them the pro's. I guess alittle common sense goes along way.

But I didn't know that they didn't put radials tires on bikes before the 90'.

Thanks
Guys

Quick Reply: Standard Tires