CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

SOOOO aggravating!!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOOOO aggravating!!!!

Hey all fellow CBR lovers,

Im back! I havent posted in a while. But I am back indeed. I think me & a 1000 other posters have posted about a noisy chain. Well from reading around here I determined it was probably the cam chain tensioner (yes sorry for this over populated subject) well.. lets just say I was a little worried to do the work myself. So I took the bike to my local Honda dealership for them to diagnose the problem, which in their conclusion was the cam chain tensioner... to only find out $1000 later it was NOT the cam chain tensioner.. this is where the agravation comes in... Im out $1000's and still have a bike that not fixed. The noise does not stop after motor warms, continually noisy, mosty at lower rpms. I been reading alot about the alt chain, but thought maybe you guys had some expert advise before I go chasing a rabbit that was never there... :P thanks all!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Default RE: SOOOO aggravating!!!!

Thx Classic,
Its nice to be back. Yea I just cant get over getting burned at the dealership I almost want to call the Better Business Bureau. I forgot not all from USA, but yes $1000USD and all they changed out was the tensioner. And im pretty sure they didnt do anything BUT the tensioner, these guys wouldn't do one damn thing without getting full labor price out of me. I asked if they would check vavle clearence while they have the motor apart and they wanted another $200USD, I told them go sit on an egg. After running circles with these guys they gave me the bike back in the same condition, all they had to say was they would never know if it was the cam chain or alt chain without starting at the cam chain.. is this true? by the way they want $2000USD to change the alt chain [:@]

Its been bad in all ways. Im not the best mechanic either

Honda/Kawasaki of Modesto, California USA ... NEVER go there!!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:11 PM

I requested the "bad" tensioner and I cant tell any issues with it. But like I said, im not a great mechanic. The the balancer shaft something I can do on my own without too much trouble?

THANKS!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. That is one reason why I will never take my bike to a dealer. They have nothing to do with the manufacturer other then they sell the product. They are all independantly owned and don't answer to anyone on bikes that are out of warranty. They don't care about service, other then what they sell, and certainly don't care about our older bikes.

1. I would ask for a refund. Theydid not diagnose the problem correctly, so you should not be on the hook for their incompetence.

2. I would accept nothing more then a full refund. Take it to the owner and or the BBB if they don't give you a refund. After all they didn't fix anything. They really will only be out maybe a $100 in parts and labor. Yeah the mark up on both is at least 100%

3. learn to do the small stuff yourself, if you can. Invest in some good tools (buy them as you need them, not all at once) and take your time. The cam chain and tensioner is not that hard. Most things on the 1KF are not that hard. But if you can't.....

4. I would ask around to find a good independant shop in your area. They often have the best mechanics, and the best prices.

Throwing parts at anything is not the sign of a good mechanic. If they can't come up with the proper diagnoses, you should in no way be held responsible for their failure. After all that's why you took it to them. You could have paid anyone to throw parts at it until it was fixed. But you took it to them because they are the supposed "expert".Especially true if they didn't tell you upfront that they would have to replace the CC to narrow it down.

Keep on them, and don't give in.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:11 PM

the quote was like $120 in labor to find the issue. After 2 DAYS in the shop, they called back and said it was the cam chain. I asked how much it was to fix (which was $1000) so I told them I wanted the bike back, because no way I wanted to pay that much. But they told me to get the back back was $500 since they took it apart. so I figured instead of just throwing away $500 in labor and nothing fixed id just fork out another $500 and just have the bike fixed. But now as I sit here im out $1000, and its still not fixed!!!! I feel like dumbass....

Old 09-27-2008, 11:45 PM

I paid about AU$700+ for cam chain and tensioner to be fitted, I got the values adjusted, cabs balanced and oil change and the bill was just under $1000.

I still had some noise afterwards. (Alternator I think)
Just lately, I had the cabs rebalanced and the guy was good. Chain noice is reduced, so I'm mostly happy.

If the dealer is part of a chain, I would be ringing Head Officeand having a bitch.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:53 PM

Mark, rub it in my face!!!

All I can say is I will NEVER be back there. I had the work done about a month ago I dont know if I waited too long.. but I guess atleast its a lesson learned if anything. Pain & Money are the best teachers...

Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

the quote was like $120 in labor to find the issue. After 2 DAYS in the shop, they called back and said it was the cam chain. I asked how much it was to fix (which was $1000) so I told them I wanted the bike back, because no way I wanted to pay that much. But they told me to get the back back was $500 since they took it apart. so I figured instead of just throwing away $500 in labor and nothing fixed id just fork out another $500 and just have the bike fixed. But now as I sit here im out $1000, and its still not fixed!!!! I feel like dumbass....
I would check with the Attorney General, because in Washington they can't do that. An estimate is just that. If they go over 10% they have to get written approval. I would suspect CA is the same.

It's your money, but if it were mine, I wouldn't let them take it from meso easily.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOOOO aggravating!!!!