CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Shocking Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Shocking Question ?

What are the best options for rear shock replacement ?

Are there any pneumatic type adjustable options for the Hurricane ?

Anyone have some quick info on where to look or for any custom
applications worth considering ?

Think mine is pretty much toast ! at this point

Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
What are the best options for rear shock replacement ?

Are there any pneumatic type adjustable options for the Hurricane ?

Anyone have some quick info on where to look or for any custom
applications worth considering ?

Think mine is pretty much toast ! at this point
I used a HAGON on mine - very happy with it.

They also list a hydraulic remote pre-load as an option if you want to go that route

Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Ummm Muchos Gracias Dean, I'll be looking into just that .... like the remote pre-load idea

Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM

I think the only other after market shock is an Ohlins for a few $100's more than the Hagon. The major advantage of the Ohlins is independant compression and rebound adjustments. The Hagon is like stock.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:56 AM

are there any aftermarket springs that we can use with said shocks? i'd love to lower an inch or so in the rear for that 'stance' i've been dying for. the front already looks so mean with it dropped and i'd like to balance it out the 'right' way given the ability.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:59 AM

I've just put a Hagon on my '93 and for the money it's faultless,had to increase the preload a small amount and two turns in on the rebound but now it's perfect for all round riding and slightly firmer which i like,for £295 delivered i'm impressed.
If i hadn't needed it so urgently i would have gone for a Wilbers which they set at the factory for your weight and riding style for about £320 but need 2 weeks for del. which i didn't have at the time,they come highly reccommended,you could also consider Nitron,set up for you they are about £375.
Had Ohlins on a few past bikes and they really are quality but only worth the money if you use the performance it has to offer,i.e on the track or you have plenty of money,for normal road riding my Hagon is plenty good enough
If you get the shock get the fork springs aswell,only £60 but complement the shock and you'll love the transformation,it will feel like a new bike,
kind regards,GN

Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 AM

Good advice Guys ...........many thanks ..... aftermarket springs ?? a good question
there BIO !

I wonder about that too!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm in the Atlanta area of Georgia, and I know that it wouldn't be feasible for you, but I had my "non-rebuildable" rear shock rebuilt into a rebuildable shock, and the front springs replaced and revalved for $800 at a local shop. honda wanted $550US for the part. I looked at Hagon, but I thought that for $800 to have it tuned to my weight and riding style that it was a bargain. Might want to look around locally. I love the way my bike handles now. I got it done at traxxion dynamics in Woodstock GA. They offered to put a Penske on for a few hundred more. You might want to look into a Penske.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Thumbs up thanks

Originally Posted by kellybarrs
I'm in the Atlanta area of Georgia, and I know that it wouldn't be feasible for you, but I had my "non-rebuildable" rear shock rebuilt into a rebuildable shock, and the front springs replaced and revalved for $800 at a local shop. honda wanted $550US for the part. I looked at Hagon, but I thought that for $800 to have it tuned to my weight and riding style that it was a bargain. Might want to look around locally. I love the way my bike handles now. I got it done at traxxion dynamics in Woodstock GA. They offered to put a Penske on for a few hundred more. You might want to look into a Penske.
Interesting info ...thanks , I will indeed look into it .....can always ship the
shock to be done !...... Penske eh .... never heard of them but will
check it out.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Default Penske Shock

Penske, as in Roger Penske, has been in motor racing for decades. Mostly in car racing. When we were racing the F3 I put in race Tech Gold Valves in the forks and put a Penske double clicker shock on the rear. That bike really handled well. It was rock steady around Mid-Ohio when I road it and the Kid raced it. The bike was 4 years old, a long time in the 600 class, but he managed a third in the Amature Nationals in 2000. I have to believe that the Penske helped compensate for a lack of power.
I didn't know that we can get a Penske for our bikes until I saw the suggestion here. I looked a few years back and didn't find it.

Quick Reply: Shocking Question ?