CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Seat stuck

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat stuck

Hi all

Been busy on the Cbr1000, replacement fairing fitted.
Front pads, discs and seals/pistons, new fluid all round.
Replacement rear caliper and pads, new rear disc.
Caliper rubbers all round
new steering head bearings ( I dont like this job any more the more I do it.)

Now I cant get the seat off! I havent had the seat on this bike for a long time, so cant remeber how to get it off. I assume its the key on the grab rail at the back, and turn it left? I dont seem to get any resistance in the key, it turns all the way and hits a stop. I have tried hitting the seat etc, but the feel of the key makes me think that its not attached to anything.

Any ideas?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Turn the key CCW and make a tight fist. With pressure on the key, come down sharply with the fist on the rear of the saddle. The key should then be totally horizontal and parallel with the ground and release the saddle. If the fist doesn't work. straight arm the rear of the saddle, give it all you got.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 PM

Many thanks! The fist method was the first I tried and didnt work.

Which way does the seat need to be pulley to get it off from the mechanism? It took a lot of effort to get the seat locked in the first place I suspect something is jammed.

Can I unscrew the bar that latches with the seat still installed?

Old 11-11-2014, 04:48 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a picture of the seat mechanism, the key turns the cam, which in turn pushes the latch mechanism rearwards. I've tried to arrow the latch mechanism, you might be able to use a long thin screwdriver to push it and release the seat. I managed it a few years ago.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:49 PM

Aha Excellent! I will give it a go, many thanks.

I will report back

Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In Hawk's photo you can see that, turning the key CCW would rotate the bottom 'U' shaped of the release rod against the part of the release mechanism. The 'U' rotates rearward against the release and the catch opens. From the left side of the bike you can pry an opening between the grab rail and the saddle lifting the saddle just enough to get a long screwdriver in and push the release rearward. You will need a flashlight to look in and rags so that you don't bugger up the grab rail.

When you put it back together, make sure the 'U' is at the bottom. You can install it 180 out and the release will not engage.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 AM

Seat off! Thanks all

Turns out the U shaped piece of metal is missing on mine! Happy days. I see a visit to Honda in my near future! Thanks

Old 11-20-2014, 04:02 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by Alexanderfitu
Seat off! Thanks all

Turns out the U shaped piece of metal is missing on mine! Happy days. I see a visit to Honda in my near future! Thanks
That will do it every time.

And BTW Hawkwind, your Photoshop skills are about as sh1te as mine; I can't believe how hard it is to make a nice pointy arrow or circle with a mouse.

My eldest daughter creates some stunning stuff in PS. She uses a side tablet with a pen which is much like drawing on paper.

Last edited by kiwi TK; 11-20-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:32 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teeks, I'm deeply offended by your disparaging remarks regarding my Photoshop skills.

I'll have you know it took a lot of time and effort to create the masterpiece I have entitled ''Arrow''.

I shall now go off in a huff................

Old 12-02-2014, 03:35 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Teeks, I'm deeply offended by your disparaging remarks regarding my Photoshop skills.

I'll have you know it took a lot of time and effort to create the masterpiece I have entitled ''Arrow''.

I shall now go off in a huff................

OK, that was 22nd November, are you over your huff now?

I now realize that my comments on your (and my) Photoshop skills were unecessary and possibly unkind

I'm thinking the correct thing to do; would be to set up some sort of support network where all the Members can be supportive of your skills and encourage positive comments on your work.

Let's call it the Hawkwind Support Network "HSN".

I have the feeling that we may get Government support and funding. (Which we can then use for nefarious purposes)

Cheers and Regards

Last edited by kiwi TK; 12-02-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Seat stuck