CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Seafoam: Where to inject? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/seafoam-where-inject-125784/)

Shadow 05-22-2011 01:04 AM

NO NO NO NO
Acetone will eat away all the rubbers in your carb system, or harden them until they are useless.
Secondly, acetone is not as good as ether or thinners, but both are USELESS in a Hurricane engine, as the engine does not have the compression ratios or technology to make use of the increased volatility of the fuel.

Leave well alone, unless you plan a full rebuild.............................
If you are, then use naphthalene in the fuel - it'll last maybe just a bit longer.......:eek:
I've used formula 1 racing fuel in a car - anything up to 140 octane.
In a standard engine it'll give you nothing, and just cost you in time and money.

CBRclassic 05-22-2011 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 1057005)
NO NO NO NO

but are yu real sure mate ? is that a definite firm no Pete ?? :icon_teeth:

Stick anything like those non recognized or not approved products in your tank or your oil and you are asking for it :icon_doh:

As Pete said , no :icon_wink:

HenryM 05-22-2011 04:02 AM

Can I third that? Pete's three No's, Steve's 1 and now mine.
No! You'll be changing every rubber component that comes into contact with your fuel in a very short space of time.
I run Redex through my tank once in a while and that's quite good enough to keep things in good order. Haven't had my carbs apart for over 20 K miles and see no need to either.
A synch wouldn't go amis, when I can be bothered.

stefan2m 05-22-2011 08:54 AM

Guys, I don't understand, so that's a yes? :icon_nut:

I'll just leave it alone then, don't feel the need to replace all that stuff.

grendl 05-22-2011 12:53 PM

I have a question on this. Can I take Seafoam and soak a set of carbs in it to clean them? Off the bike in a tray I mean. I'm lazy and paranoid and don't want to disassemble past removing the jets and sliders(the extent of my sure knowledge.
Is there a better carb cleaner that wont ruin the rubber for this?
Thanx

Shadow 05-22-2011 02:02 PM

I'd strip the jets out and soak the rest in kerosene - not as harsh on the rubbers
IMO
When they've stood for a while I'd give them a final clean with seafoam or equivalent and a low pressure airspray.
But that's just me - worked for me in the past.

HenryM 05-22-2011 02:56 PM

If you're feeling that lazy, Shadow's on the money.
A big can of intake cleaner won't go amis.
Soaking in seafoam? That'll cost a few bucks won't it?

hawkwind 05-22-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by HenryM (Post 1057191)
Soaking in seafoam? That'll cost a few bucks won't it?

At about £15 a can it'd probably be cheaper to pay someone to do the job properly :icon_shrug:

TimBucTwo 05-22-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 1057005)
NO NO NO NO.

Originally Posted by CBRclassic (Post 1057014)
but are yu real sure mate ? is that a definite firm no Pete ??

Well classic, that's the caliber of people we have here in our little forum. When little Pete was dumping crap into his tranny, his dad would yell,"NO NO NO NO NO Petie boy." He is only trying to be father like.

What was not mentioned is that acetone is highly cancerous. Do not come in direct contact with that stuff. It gets absorbed and goes directly into the blood system.

I did dump some Seafoam in my tank yesterday and as soon as it made way through my lines, the bike was mellow again.

I am still at a loss with HenryM's statment of IPA. Indian Pale Ale????? Good or bad Henery? I say GOOD stuff!

Shadow 05-23-2011 12:01 AM

I wouldn't want to be the father to you lot of miscreants, TBT :eek: :)
And my Dad wouldn't have told me WHY I shouldn't do it, just
BECAUSE I SAY SO (and that was generally enough for my generation in the pre-teen years)
So, what you're saying is that acetone is going to kill off all the women who use nail varnish remover ?
Hmmmmmmmm - Just another way to "croak" I s'pose.
Bugger the women, the rubber in my carbs is more important .....hehehe