CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Scary Handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by David Van Onselen
The back tyre is scaloping as I noted this morning.
Originally Posted by David Van Onselen
....., but I put that down to the SC2 on the front. It does have a sharp profile. Maybe this is aggravating the cross wind situation?
I think those two things there and if you do decide to pull the shock, check the swing-arm bearings when its apart. Other than that, tell the old lady to get her own bike. LOL

Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are pros and cons to the theory of gunning it in cross winds. Yes, at a higher speed the chances of wind deflection are less, but if it does happen you are further off course by the time you corrected it.

The main con in my case is the pillion. My wife is still very new to biking and blasting at 200kph in a cross wind would terrify her and put her off biking all together. I find it easier to just open a knee to stabilize and cruise as peacefully as possible. She's been up to 180kph with me on a calm day but I could feel she didn't like it so I backed off again.

I'm starting to get an idea of why the 1KF feels so bad in the cross winds. I've never had quite as many acres of bodywork on previous bikes so naturally they wouldn't have been as bad under the conditions. My CBX750 felt much better as did the old 900F. The wind blows through them from the side rather than trying to blow them over.

I will still be rebuilding the shocks and maybe ditching the track day rubber for something a little more suitable to heavyweight road work.

Happy New Year guys, thanks for the chats and advice in 2013, I'm sure we'll have many more in 2014.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:39 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happy New Year to you too David - "steady as she goes" in 2014

Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd reef the mains'l. Tack into the wind and avoid abeam reach unless the seas are against ya'. If all else fails, just spit between your teeth and shake your fist at the gods.

Works for me in times of trouble

hopes this helps

Old 01-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and yell Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh - ya forgot that Woof

Ride like a pirate day !

Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

[QUOTE=Sprock;1261151]and yell Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh - ya forgot that Woof

Ride like a pirate day ![/QUOTE]

Pick me, pick me, pick me.................

What a brilliant idea Sprock. International Ride Like a Pirate Day. I'd so be into that.

Ok excitement over - resume normal programming.

Cheers, SB

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 01-01-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 AM

You lot do much drinking over new year

Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 PM

The fun continues

Need to replace front brake pads as a priority. Bought a set today and just went to fit them now. Popped out the old ones easily but only one piston retracts. Can't this bike be nice just once!! Every other bike I've ever had has simply retracted by me wedging a flat screwdriver between disc and pad and slowly pushing them back. This one didn't so I removed the caliper, laid it on the floor and even whacking it quite hard did nothing. Guess I'm going to have to refit, bleed it and pop the pistons out with the hydraulics. Must be some rust or dirt jamming it up. I'm currently eyeing the set of CBR954 calipers I have on the shelf, but then I need to make brackets for them which means taking it to an engineering shop without brakes. Could be a bit more excitement than I want

Old 01-12-2014, 02:27 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always just use a C-clamp to retract the pistons as long as the piston walls are clean. It sounds like yours may need to be removed and everything cleaned and new seals before putting it all back together.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:13 AM

I'm getting that feeling too, I've shoved the old pads back in (still about 2-3mm on them) and will tackle this another day. Sick of this bike standing around with problems and not being on the road where it belongs. I've heard that bleeding the system with methylated spirits and leaving overnight helps to loosen up crud built up in the calipers. Is this fact or fiction?

Quick Reply: Scary Handling