CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Scary Handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary Handling

Guys, I've been a biker for many years and have ridden all manner of bike. Some good, some rubbish. From all reports I've read on the 1000f it's known as a rock solid machine. Today I was caught in a cross wind out on the highway with the missus on the back and I found the exact opposite. The bike was twitchy and nervous at best. I don't get nervous often, but it all just felt wrong. Tyre pressures are correct (2.4 Front, 2.75 rear) and rubber all good. Rear shock is set up to max (the wife and I together are a touch over 200kg) Chain tension is correct and alignment is spot on. I've ridden solo in cross winds and had nothing like this sort of hassle keeping her running true. I'm running Diablo Super Corsa SC2 on the front and SC1 on the back. I know this is sporty rubber but it should be able to manage two up at 140kph surely?

Any advice appreciated.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

G'Day David,

Just how strong were the cross-winds? Any bike weighing 240 or so kg two-up at 140 will become a little less stable with a gusty crosswind. I've ridden a GTR1000 at about 25 degrees off the vertical in a straight line due to high speed crosswinds.

Other things to consider - fork oil levels, stem bearings and perhaps wheel bearings.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had that exact issue when I first got my 90 , alarming is the best way to describe it
and it was a leaking right for seal in my case. That time I had the forks done by a
local shop and it took the unpredictability out of the whole equation.

Only other thing I'd have to say is ......., is that rear shock stock ? if it is my 90 rear shock
was crapped back in 2010 ( seemed okay ) but nearly unseated me down in Tennessee
doing near the ton CB2CBR & TBT can attest to it when they saw my rear tire "Stone skipping"
on the tarmac at speed - when I got back I had to chuck it.

I'd check those two items David since you asked, at least you two together have a 120lbs on me

Old 12-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, watched Sprock pogo while breaking for the next right hander on the Skyway, so may want to check the shock, and the fork oil. One other idea is where the wind is pushing.
I don't have the worn shock but have been un-nerved in a heavy bike and crosswind situation. With three loaded GIVI cases on the bike, riding solo, my theory is the trunk box (or passenger)is catching enough crosswind to upset things. A sail up that high and aft with a sideload has to create a weird dynamic. You know when a passenger shifts weight on the pegs, now add an extended leverage arm to that. That thunderstorm wind got my attention even more than the rain and lightning.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 AM

There is a good suspension shop I intend sending the back shock to. Yes it is an original and although the bike has low mileage it's probably shot. The back tyre is scaloping as I noted this morning. I want a slightly stronger spring in it anyway so may as well get a full rebuild. 23 year old oil is probably water by now. I'll see if there are new fork springs available locally or at least spacers to preload the front. I think I have some 20w oil that I'll stick in - the front isn't leaking so that's a simple DIY job.

Yesterday was damn scary - even opening a knee to the breeze did nothing to stabilize the ship. According to the weather report the wind speed was only 50kph yesterday and a properly sorted 1000F should handle that easily.

Thanks for the input guys - seems like wallet opening time again...

Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Was that 50kph average wind speed? If so you could be getting gusts of wind at considerably higher speeds and it'll be gusting wind that will unsettle the bike. A steady wind, even a stong one would be less of a problem.

Rebuilding/replacing a rear 24 year-old shock is a good choice Hagon do progressive front springs at a reasonable price if you can get them where you are.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 PM

My only mod was to add a 5/8" spacer to the fork springs, take the sag out.
The gusting wind is what will bite ya. Sustained crosswinds you can maintain a constant lean to compensate. A gust or when you pass into or out of a wind break is when things get interesting. Do you get any odd behavior entering or exiting a normal corner?
I've had 5-6 sets of tires on my '94 and had no cupping on the rear, only the front. Tell-tale sign there perhaps. Alignment/tire pressure errors? A fresh set of rubber has cured many a handling malady.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:28 AM

Under normal conditions the handling is not scary at all. Yes, she tips into corners much faster than a bike this size has any right to, but I put that down to the SC2 on the front. It does have a sharp profile. Maybe this is aggravating the cross wind situation?

Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had similar incidents over the past few years. When talking to some serious "bikers" their response was
"the faster you go the less the sidewind will affect you" - LoL
While I don't necessarily subscribe completely to this, I have seen bikes with a lot of fairing and therefore area for the wind to push against take more punishment at slower speeds. On a recent ride down south we had quite severe sidewinds which, as Bear says, will cause you to ride at a serious angle to keep the bike straight. Gusts are definitely the worst, and I don't think suspension settings or anything helps under those conditions. Maybe pulling over and waiting it out would be the best solution, but as riders we all know that won't happen.......

Old 12-31-2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hi David, you've drawn great opinion from the heavy weights here but read between the lines (no offence meant guys), when you've been caught once, we're all **** scared of riding in gusting winds on a machine which has a side profile like a sheet of 8 x 4.
Yes, the suggestions from the learned ones above are correct regarding having tyres and suspension in tip top condition will mitigate the effects of fast and /or gusting wind but as 1KF riders we are at an automatic disadvantage when a strong gust of wind hits us sideways.
Having ridden in evil winds which seem to come from all directions at once I am quite sure that when using a top box, the wind has that much more leverage on the bike which results in you being thrown unceremoniously across a lane or two before you even know what's happened (although my **** has always been one step ahead of me).
I don't ride with a box any more. It's made all the difference but still and especially at this time of year with the nasty winter wind, gusts upset my line but not to the point where I've lost control.
Try PR3s. They're brilliant (at least for UK conditions)....... and get a tail pack for the rear seat when riding alone, you'll find stability greatly improves with the load over the axle.
Oh, one other thing.....
after my last pant soiling encounter with the wind a year or so ago I sat down and re-read a lot of information about riding in the wind. Reminded me of a few things to practice and really helped with my daily battle against the elements.

Quick Reply: Scary Handling