CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Sc24 ignition module differences

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc24 ignition module differences

Heloo

If you can possibly help, I would like to know what the difference is between the CDI boxes on this bike.

I know there have been quite a lot of versions here and there depending on the country and hp output but....

As far as I know (a sort of personal investigation), the ones with a country code symbols are for the reduced versions.. like the one here ->

You can see the G symbol on the right of the id numbers.. which is for the reduced GERMANY version (100hp). You may as well find others such as A, SW etc....

But... There are still the ones without the country code symbols and there is a difference as well

The numbers are always different but... there is this dot on the right side.... what does the dot stand for?? anyone?

would be grateful for the info...

Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We were always of the opinion that the horsepower issue was due (on the emission control bikes) to reducers in the carb inlet manifolds and removal of all the "spaghetti" of pipes on the California bikes, NOT the CDI units. There may be some differences in the firing of the CDI between the models - I have a couple of units from early bikes here - when I get to remove the tailpiece again I'll fit one/both to my bike and see if there's any difference in performance, or if they won't work at all.....I have a Mk2 1990 Californication without any of the rubbish left to cut down horsepower............
I'll let you know what I find.
I'm not sure what the significance is of the white dot - it seems to have a letter inscribed in it but I'm not sure - looks like an "L" but who knows.
My spare CDI's don't have any numbers that I can see............at least on the one I pulled out.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may be some differences
you are too hopeful

I checked three of my CDIs (recently bought) with a timing light and as far as I can see how the CDI works in low rpm range, I am not able to check what happens at higher rpm since the timing light gets out of range....

As for the differences....

1. the camshafts have a different lobe height - 33 mm French versions, 34 mm Swiss versions and almost 36 mm full power version. The opening and closing angle is also different, the comparative images (left 135ps, right swiss 70ps)

2. CDI differences as stated in the manual (now you can see that each marked CDI as for the country is a restricted one - the full advance is moved to the higher rpm)

3. Intake restrictions - got rid of them

4. The carbs....
Jetting - 128 main jet for SW models, 130 for the full ps one. (40 / 42 pilot jet)...

SW carb - anti backfire system -> (a magnificient piece if you don't like popping)

5. AIS (a different cylinder head, though the valves and the springs are the same)

I successfully removed all of these but the CDI needs a replacement as well...