CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Restoring 88 cbr1kf, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring 88 cbr1kf, need advice

Hey all.

New to this forum, have found truck loads of valuable info already, so my hat is off to all of you!!

I just picked this bike up for $750CAD, without even looking at it, knowing full well that it would need significant work to get it back into service. Well, throttle stuck, carbies varnished worse than anything I've EVER seen before, bike has some cosmetics that need to be dealt with (cracks in fairings, etc...)... But it turns over - kinda... (Think the solenoid is scr***d - if anyone has advice on this I'm definately open to hearing it, could it just be connections?). I'll digress though and save you the long read...

Q1: Can I replace fuel and cooling system lines with standard automotive lines from Canadian Tire/Parts Source/NAPA? Or do I *need* to buy Honda/Aftermarket Fuel/Coolant lines for some unapparent reason?
Q2:The bike sometimes turns over, but when it doesn't I hear a faint - and sluggish - click (But a dull one) comming from the starter solenoid on the right side of the bike. Could this just be electrical connections need cleaning? FYI - The battery is completely cooked, so these attempts were while jumping it from the wifes car.

Was also planning to strip the bike down to the frame and engine only, plug everything up and degrease/clean the guts of the whole bike. Then as for the electrical, clean all connections with something like battery terminal cleaner (all connections that I've seen so far have the typical green/white corrosion on/inside them), and then di-electric grease all those same connections in an effort to ensure no electrical problems down the road (I used to have a 89 Ninja 600R that wouldn't fire for varied periods of time, if even the slightest bit of rain come down on it - so I want to avoid problems the like). Plus this will let me inspect all the innards, having found that the bike was likely dropped on both sides at some point in it's life. Is all the aforementioned a good idea in your experienced opinions? Or should I leave well enough alone, fix the obvious problems - carbs, etc... - and fix anything else as it becomes apparent?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Any other advice for restoring a bike that's been sitting for 8-10 years would be more than welcome.

Cheers.

Ben

Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Restoring 88 cbr1kf, need advice

Hey Ben Welcome to the right Place. You will probablly be offered a manual to down load...TAKE IT!!!! also read the tech article on fairing repair the products outlined in the article will save you on plastic parts you might other wise concider replacing. On the electrical issues you will hear very sage advise on a new batt. I have been repairing and resurecting bikes for 25+ years this is the first bike I have found that is VERY critical of the battery condition spend the money for a new one and charge it before attempting anything else. Take the time to clean not only the carbs but also the fuel petcock and the tank. my petcock was sludged and the carbs were solidlike yours cleand and lubed and thet snapclosed just like they should. Good luck with your project

Big Smoooth

Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the Forum !
Q1 Automotive fuel lines are OK, better to use the black type, rather than material or plastic.
Q2 Big Smooth already answered. I'd remove plugs and pour some oil into the bores - If it's been standing for that long, the rings are likely "frozen" on gunk/rust in the cylinders.+1 on the strong battery....

Manual: go to
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...Manual.pdf>
OR
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/midlife/i...ice_Manual.pdf
> > Hope it works - If you need wiring diagrams I'll need to know what year it was mnfg'd
Enjoy !

Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM

The best advice I can give is to take your time and dont get frustrated. I am going through refreshing mine and mine wasnt even in that bad of shape and I got fed up quick, and didnt touch it for a couple months. Just take it slow and tackle one problem at a time

Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 PM

Q1 on a few of the molded lines with a hard turn angle I got a minor kink slowing fuel flow. I bought the molded (factory) line for that one.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:56 PM

Also heard, on this forum, you should make sure not to run the car engine while jumping the bike. I cannot find the thread, but mine starts just fine connected to the battery without my truck running.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 AM

Unless you have special jumper leads, you nerver run both engines at the same time - Car, Bike or Boat.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct - DON"T run the car when jump-starting the bike from the car battery - you can damage the bike's electronics.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:43 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. I totally restored my 87 fh and found it a real pleasure and apart from a couple of teething problems she has been a real pleasure to ride. I have posted some pics of before and after. If I can help you in any way I will, at the moment I am working away so dont get much time on the forum. Oh and if you are going to strip the bike, you might want to also drop the engine out as the loom is best worked on off the frame, but dont try and straighten it out as some wires will be brittle, more so around the back of the tank where it goes round the underside of the frame. You can use electrical cleaner, but I found that some connections had to be replaced. Good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/10939/A9DA6209723E400CB5A4B74067E53447.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10939/1C59816A96974318908E7C68549C8F56.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10939/7C578160FA4E47F7B7E44489224C735D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10939/2B8A2D359721499D8368F8A4BB86F535.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Sadly, I am still stuck in "before" picture mode. Bike looks great, collector.

Quick Reply: Restoring 88 cbr1kf, need advice