CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Regulator/Rectifier **UPDATED WITH PICS** (Not dialup friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regulator/Rectifier **UPDATED WITH PICS** (Not dialup friendly)

Yes folks its that old chestnut again.

I need a new regulator/rectifier for my 96 model. I have seen quite a few on Ebay and other sites for much cheaper than the OEM Honda one.

My question is are they still going to burn out again just as quickly or does someone make a regulator/rectifier that is beefier?

Thanks
Rob

Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Default RE: Regulator/Rectifier

My friend's 78 Suzuki GS 1000 uses a separate rectifier and regulator. We put a new combination rectifier/regulator from a Yamaha on it and it works perfect. Pretty much they are all the same and do the exact same function. One with more cooling fins might work better as the regulator part converts extra voltage to heat. The rectifier part converts three phase ac to one phase dc.

Old 10-03-2005, 12:49 PM

try www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com

that's where I bought mine from - cheaper thank oem.

Old 10-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Default RE: Regulator/Rectifier **UPDATED WITH PICS** Not Dialup Friendly

Ok Folks I have uploads some pics and a bit of a how to for those not so mechaincally inclined.

I have given my R/R a "refresh"

There are 2 problems with the charging on these.

1. Poor grounding

2 Poor cooling.

Here is what I did.

My pics got deleted for the 1st bit but its fairly simple.......

When I took off the RR I noticed a lot of gunk behind it so it wasn't dissapating its heat properly into the frame. The ground wire is also very corroded.

First I sanded off all the paint from the frame where the RR mounts.

Then I cleaned all the crap of the back of the RR.

Then I used some 25% silver heatsink paste of the back of the RR and put it back on the frame.

I then glued a heatsink (using thermal heatsink glue) to the RR

I then attached a fan to the heatsink and wired it to the rear light circuit.

That took care of the cooling. Now the grounding.

I ****ed off the pissy little ground wire that goes from the battery to the frame. For the amount of current the bike has this is woefully inadequate. I then attached a huge low resistance ground wire (an automotive one) and attached it from the battery to the bolt on the RR. (BTW the bolthole and area around it was sanded to make a good contact)

I then attached another big ground wire from the bolthole on the RR to a sanded area on the frame for redundancy).

First you need to get yourself a fan and attach some spade terminals to it. I used a genuine Intel Fan off a Pentium 2. This a fan that justs clips on to the heatsink. They are perfect and are the same size as the R/R.

Then you need to cut some 10 amp wires about 20"(50cm) long. Tin the ends of the wires with a soldering iron, crimp on some terminals and heatshrink.

Then get yourself some splice terminals......

......and attach the positive to the brown/white wire on the plug that goes to the taillight and the negative to the green. Then tape over well.

Then route the wires back to the fan.

I then clip the new leads onto the fan and tape over to keep the water out. The fan justs clips onto the R/R. I did use a spot of glue to hold it in case of vibration etc. The completed pic also shows the huge new blue ground-wire and 2nd frame ground I used. The pic doesn't show it well but there is a very low height heatsink under the fan and one on the end of R/R as well.

Best of luck folks.

Kewl bananas
Rob

Old 10-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Good work trips. That means more electric juice at idle for the weak ignition which will give you a better idle. I'm going to check my r/r and ground wire later on today. I'll bet yours starts up easier too.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:48 PM

This might help my engine breakdown at 7,500rmp. I'm going to have a look and let you know if it helps.
I don’t have a problem starting, It always fires after one or two rotations.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:19 PM

I think that is my problem as well. I was riding along and suddenly it died and had no electrical power. I put in a fresh battery and it fired right up. I checked it out tonight and it isn't charging at all. So... I went to disconnect the harness from the R/R and the connector itself was fried, wires not even connected to anything anymore. Any ideas on where I can get a new connector?

Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 AM

If the connector was fried then that is a good indicator that the RR is cactus as well.

The connector on the CBR1000f is a custom one as the red pin is larger than the rest. Go and see as auto electrician as it is possible to replace burnt out pins.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:14 AM

I'll check with an auto electrician today. As I was looking for the connector online last night it seems as if the connector only comes with a new wiring harness. I don't want to have to buy one of those![:@] I did check out Ricks Electrics R/R's, they sure are alot cheaper than anywhere else. I'm going to see if they can FedEx me one today so that maybe I can be riding again this weekend!

Old 10-30-2005, 10:06 AM

I can't say enough good things about Rick's motorsport electrics. They were very helpful and got my R/R here the next day for about half the price of anyone else. I replaced the burnt pins in the connector and heat wrappped the connections, cleaned up the ground a bit and now life is good again! The idle seems smoother and I'll bet this will fix my poor gas mileage situation. That was the part that I couldn't figure out prior to the breakdown. I went on a club ride and we really rode hard and I got great gas mileage. But when I rode it easy commuting to work it was sucking down gas.

Quick Reply: Regulator/Rectifier **UPDATED WITH PICS** (Not dialup friendly)