CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

re-jet or not to re-jet...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-jet or not to re-jet...

I found a used Vance & Hines full exhaust off of an '87 'cane. I know most full exhaust you're susposed to re-jet the carbs. But on an older system and and an older bike... is it still a requirement? I'd really like to get an exhaust on my bike but I don't want to spend alot to get it re-jetted. Even the new slip-on exhaust prices make me cringe, because they costs so much. Is there antway to modify the stock exhaust to get more sound out of it with-out a re-jet? Any info will help.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 AM
Default RE: re-jet or not to re-jet...

if you change the exhaust you will have to re-jet to get the performance and sound you are looking for. i just got done repacking my exhaust and let me tell you it sounds sick with out the packing.so to modify the exhaust i haven't a clue

Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 AM

Only re-jet if you are certain you have a hi flow baffle.

Remember stock has 2 pipes. Not all exhausts are the same. So the one pipe will have to have more airflow than the 2 outlets its replacing.

Jetting will give you more power. BUt to be honest I wish I hadn't now.

I do have more power, but no metter what you do there will always be a dip in the power somewhere and it will never be as smooth and linear as stock. I am using a lot more fuel that what I used to.

If I could afford it I would go back to stock mufflers.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:27 PM

I don't think your exhaust is the problem, Trips. I'm at 6,000 ft - I installed V&H full system and jetted down from 122 to 115, and put the Dynojet needles with the clip in the highest position - my gas mileage went to ****. I put the stock needles which are much fatter and longer than the Dynojets (why do people say the middle clip position is same as stock?) back in and my mileage returned to low 40's and it runs perfect except for a small low rpm flat spot which was there before rejetting. Try going back to stock needles. You can do it by lifting the tank, no need to take the carbs out - takes about an hour start to finish.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:40 PM

0Stock needles don't work to well with the Dynojet needles as the Dynojet main jet is designed to work with the tapered needle as it is tapered as well.

P.S There is nowhere in Australia you would need to re-jet for altitude. This place is too flat.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:15 PM

I agree with Trips, stay with the stock exhaust.
Mine came with the V&H and jet kit, around town I get low 30's
on the road low 40's. I'd give up the power for the mpg's

Old 09-27-2006, 10:16 PM

The power isn't a big factor in my choice of wanting an exhaust. The bike has plenty of power... I just like having the sound of an aftermarket exhaust, and the look of one canister on my bikes. I'll watchout on e-bay for a used slip-on. Does any of the slip-on exhaust convert the bike over to a single canister while retaining the stock header? You wouldn't have to re-jet for a slip-on, as far as I have heard... right?.? Anyways thanks for the info guys.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chuck Norris

The power isn't a big factor in my choice of wanting an exhaust. The bike has plenty of power... I just like having the sound of an aftermarket exhaust, and the look of one canister on my bikes. I'll watchout on e-bay for a used slip-on. Does any of the slip-on exhaust convert the bike over to a single canister while retaining the stock header? You wouldn't have to re-jet for a slip-on, as far as I have heard... right?.? Anyways thanks for the info guys.
I have a Two Brothers slip-on. To install it you pull both mufflers off and use the plug they supply you with to plug the left side. It takes about 30 minutes. Deep idle and really nice mid range sound and power with out rejetting.
I tend to stay away frrom the 4-1 systems. They are tuned to high RPM and when not at full or near full open throttle the bike is jumpy. Also because the 4-1 are tuned more for racing they are louder than I care for on the street. The TB's is just loud enough.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:40 AM

IF you just want the sound get the original mufflers open up and remove the catalitic converter and put a different baffle in.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:11 AM

I've got a full Micron system on mine,with a k&n filter and it runs lovely - little bit flat below 3000rpm,but i guess thats down to the system being 4-1.

I've been advised against rejetting as it doesn't run lean and the power gain isn't huge compared to the extra fuel i'd be using!