CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram Air

So ive decided to take on a new project for my 1000f. I wanna give it ram air ducts using the stock air box. Ive somewhat come up with the route but one thing that keeps delaying me is what would be the best way to stop water from reaching the intake? Anyone else tried this? Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Default RE: Ram Air

Not riding in the rain?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These bikes run best with still air - your bike, your choice, but I wouldn't do it - how do you regulate the air/fuel mixture with a ram system, to give optimum performance (and not burn the valves) ?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:52 AM

All it does is fills the airbox with air making it easier on the engine so it doesnt have to suck as hard, less restricted. Its only going to pull in as much as it needs, its not like its forcing the air or compress it into the engine like a supercharger. I could be wrong though, I am no professional when it comes to this.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Don't worry about the water, you would need to submurge the intake for it to suck up enough air to hydro lock it. Some water, every now and then, is actually good for the engine, it will steam clean it and keep the carbon deposts out of the combustion chanber. It's an old mechanic's trick, to use a can of water, connect it to a small vacumm line and let itbe sucked in, to get the pistons and head steam cleaned. I've done this myself on cars and it works like a charm!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'd be surprised how much air pressure can build up in a ram air system, especially over 70MPH, where you're probably getting around 2 bars pressure (28psi) hence the 'leaning out' problems. It's only partly true to say the bike will take what it needs - that works at slower speeds, but the faster you go, the more air pressure is created, which can result in burnt valves if you run at higher speeds for any distance.These bikes aren't designed to run with a ram system.........
Just my 2c worth - your bike, your choice.

You will find that water injection is used in expensive cars like Mercedes Benz to improve performance. Haven't you noticed how much better your bike performs on a damp cold day when the air is heavy and full of moisture ?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Shadow

You'd be surprised how much air pressure can build up in a ram air system, especially over 70MPH, where you're probably getting around 2 bars pressure (28psi) hence the 'leaning out' problems......................
Are you sure about this? 2 bar above atmospheric or even jsut one is a huge amount. As far as I know, ram air systems, for cars, only generate maybe 0.5psi at 100mph. I'm failry expereinced with superchargers, had a couple of V8 with them and my current hobby car is a Porsche 928 that I built a Paxton supercharger system for it. It's only running 6psi but even that is a huge amount of air.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Imo000
Are you sure about this? 2 bar above atmospheric or even jsut one is a huge amount. As far as I know, ram air systems, for cars, only generate maybe 0.5psi at 100mph. I'm failry expereinced with superchargers, had a couple of V8 with them and my current hobby car is a Porsche 928 that I built a Paxton supercharger system for it. It's only running 6psi but even that is a huge amount of air.
True! I thought i was the only one on here with a porsche. I would love to have a shark one day! Can you tell us a little about? Thanks

Steffen Sparks

Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Shadow

You'd be surprised how much air pressure can build up in a ram air system, especially over 70MPH, where you're probably getting around 2 bars pressure (28psi) hence the 'leaning out' problems......................
Yeah from what ive read even really good ram air systems usually work at their best when at like 130+

Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: puffin04

True! I thought i was the only one on here with a porsche. I would love to have a shark one day! Can you tell us a little about? Thanks

Steffen Sparks
I'm in a rush right now but here is the build page, feel free to look at it. I'll post a little mroe about the car next time but it's an '85, 32V DOHC, all aluminium V8, 5-speed. http://norcal928.org/DIYSC/index.htm