CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Ram air !!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ram air !!!!!!!!!!!

Hey you gurus, anybody fab up ram air for a 1000f... or any bike???? do i need to preasurize the float bowls too, or is the filter intake, it???? I'd really like to get, if nothing else... a bit cooler air, into that filter, as it pulls from under that heat trapping bodywork, aft, of that hot engine. Do you feel, I would have a good chance of carb iceing, as on some... hope'n that bodywork, helps there. and why can't I "behave myself" ???!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ram air !!!!!!!!!!!

I've thought about it in the past...the intakes would need to be flipped over and some heat resistant pipe mounted over the engine....**thinking out loud mode on*** if you can get it around the ignition coil mount....shape it so it fits between the frame and the top of the radiator...leave enough open space so the oil cooler still gets some air....maybe have 2 small oval shaped inlets mounted to the underside of the upper cowling

Old 06-11-2006, 07:30 PM

I too have thought about it, I thought of 6 round pipes, 3 per side, round is easier to get and stronger and having many pipes will make each individual pipe smaller

Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: MarkR

I too have thought about it, I thought of 6 round pipes, 3 per side, round is easier to get and stronger and having many pipes will make each individual pipe smaller
Ok, I took a look at the stock setup today (did the chain / sprockets)....no go for flipping the intakes. The airbox is so close to the frame there is no clearance on the left side. The is also almost no clearance up front to get around the radiator. Unless the carbs were to be angled downwards and a new airbox fabbed, I don't see this as feasable

Old 06-12-2006, 06:28 AM

U didn't ask me as I'm no guru, but what about doing some custom plastic work and running pipes on the outside of the fairing to open out under the handgrips? the pipes would have to be flattened and panneling of some sort to smooth the transition from pipe into fairing... it'd never look natural, but with some outstading plastic work, I reckon it could look tough... not that the bike isn't beefcake looking enough as it is!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 AM

or steal some of the fuel capacity and run pipes up THROUGH the tank and up into the windscreen... I'm sure I've seen some bikes with that done stock...

Old 06-12-2006, 07:48 AM

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!,PLEASE, keep think'n and post'n !!!!!! the orig zxr 750 kaw 4 cyl. had those famous vacume cleaner hose set ups, thru the tank... I think they were fake, but sure looked bitch'n!!!!!!!
I am thinkn' right out of the center of the filter... the air comes IN the center, passing thru the filter, into the box.inside out, from what seems normal. If my leg wasn't right where the center, of the air filter is... id go right out the side panel. w/ a long diagnale cut volocity stack. face'n forward, catching the clean laminar (clingy) air, off the fairing panel.
I just hoped on the 94oreo, and if I spead my knee out about 3-4"( like when I'm not hang'n on, for dear life.) there is room for a scoop using the mid and fairing as a backing... the area 1 1/2"' below the slots, forward, and clear'n the engine side vent, and engine cover. I guesse, right in line ,w/ the small engine cooling intake vent, but forword enough to get cool air instead of engine heat, from the large vent above it, if nescasary. I'm going to feel the air, around the engine vents, for heat and a positive flow area, next ride. Yes, thats me w/ the "I went to south dakota souvinier thermometers, taped on !!!!!!! I know forword, by the head light, would be best, but..
Anything has got to be better than that 90degree bend and under side cowl,and hot air fed, peuny snorkle. Now the "rain scoop" question... Hey, this is funner, w/ friends !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 AM

Another thought: make a plate to block off the stock inlets on the airbox, then use MarkR's idea of running 6 smaller hoses off the top of the airbox and have them come out right underneath the bumpers on each side. Put a pair of K&N pods filters and you have a turbo look going...

Old 06-13-2006, 03:30 AM

Cool, I'm suprised at the number of responses, and all the very'd ideas.
The wierd (to me ) thing is... the side plate,w/ snorkle on the rt. side of the airbox, draws the air into the Interior of the filter, passing thru the element and out into the outerpart of the airbox. You have to draw all air into the filter inside, not into the outer part of the box. seems kind of wierd ... everybody... keep think'n!!!!! thanks. Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: rippn

Cool, I'm suprised at the number of responses, and all the very'd ideas.
The wierd (to me ) thing is... the side plate,w/ snorkle on the rt. side of the airbox, draws the air into the Interior of the filter, passing thru the element and out into the outerpart of the airbox. You have to draw all air into the filter inside, not into the outer part of the box. seems kind of wierd ... everybody... keep think'n!!!!! thanks. Clean and free, Ripp'n
In that cae, then just block of the left side snorkel on the airbox, flip the right side snorkel over and run a single hose to the right side bumper with a filter sticking out.

What I want to know is how to put the XX mirrors on my 1kf