CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Raising Rear Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising Rear Ride Height

Hiya folks,

I know a few people on here have got modified linkages to raise the rear ride height. Is it something that needs to be custom made or is there a supplier somewhere who sells them specifically for the CBR Thou?

THanks
Big Rob

Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 AM
dad
Default RE: Raising Rear Ride Height

You can make your own. I've done this on other bikes but never on one of these. Cold rolled mild steel is acceptable material.

Before you start doing this it would be good to go through the whole sag set-up, front and rear, and get the thing into proper range at both ends. Expect at least spacers in the front and possibly a front spring change to get it in a typically proper range. Raise the fork oil level to at least 5 1/2" and put a wire tie on to verify travel on hard braking. (I have gone as high as 4 1/2" on mine.) There is good basic, generic info on this at either Racetech or Traxxion Dynamics' sites.

To get the dimensions for the links place the bike on the centerstand and remove one of the link bolt nuts. Lift the rear wheel to load the suspension in the upward direction sufficient to take the bolt play out, not to compress the spring, and get the measurement of the rear axle height. Then remove that bolt and insert a much smaller bolt or pin and raise the wheel again, getting that reading. Then, by comparing those two measurements and the difference of the pin diameters, you will have the linkage ratio (An X change at the wheel from a Y change at the link). Use that ratio to calculate the new bolt hole centers at whatever change you're looking for. Expect a ratio somewhere around 2.5:1.

Use material of the same or greater thickness and make sure that you make them with the material around the bolt holes at least the same. Also, check the chain where it rides over the swing arm and make sure it's not forcibly riding over the plastic guide under load. Not likely that you'll have any problems but worth a look to be sure. Smaller sprockets and increased swing arm angle are all things that effect those clearances. Also make sure that the links and the rest of the suspension components clear everything in a full range of motion especially if you don't exactly duplicate the original linkage profiles, increasing their dimensions.

This is strictly my opinion, not based on experience with these exact bikes but with a little experience on others so use it accordingly. These things have corner clearance issues, sitting a bit low, and have a LOT of caster. They are part of the lazy turn in but also great stability that they exhibit. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you could raise the rear an inch, maybe as much as 1 1/2", and really like it, helping with the corner clearance as well. Raising the front in conjunction with the rear would really help the corner clearance too. Get enough material to make several links, starting with 1/2" at the rear only. Play from there. If you reach a point where the rear starts to wander under hard braking, quit there. I wouldn't be surprised if the rear up 1 1/2" with the front up 1/2" handled really well.

If you raise it much at all be prepared to make a spacer pad for your sidestand to keep the bike from falling over when parked.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Default RE: Raising Rear Ride Height

As much as I'd love to tackle that I don't have the tools to fabricate my own. Love to get something off the shelf.