CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

It Rained

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It Rained

I when for a ride up the coast today
half way up, I stopped at a shop, before getting back on, I noticed some drops on the bike, so I deployed my New RJay's Bag rain cover - took 5 seconds.

Gothit a little hard by a rain shower which lasted about 15minutes.
Bag cover was great, fairing was good -had jeans on, coat was good, gloves felt that they were compromising and visor was sh1tty.

So the Question is: What do people use to protect there Leathers and keep them waterproof,and Does anyone use Rain-X or Fog-Out on thier visors?

Old 05-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Default RE: It Rained

Hi Mark. I usually wear rain pants and an inner liner on my Rocket jacket. As for the visor, i just deal with the mess. I know not a very good solution, but I've heard that rainx and the likes are very bad for the visor. Starts hazing, deterioratingstuff like that. Not sure if there is a product for the outside of the visor, but inside i use fog off. Seems to work pretty good.

Art

Old 05-31-2008, 01:43 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a dark visor, and have used ordinary spray furniture polish on it - water runs off like a charm - inside I have a fog city insert - works very well, no fogging at any time.
The tinted visors with the chrome/irridium finish don't like rain X - it has glycol in it which will cause the coating to come off.

Rain gear is a Crane jacket (EXCELLENT) and Akito rain pants (not so hot where tight over the knees.) I carry it all in an old wine cooler strapped to my back rack- no space under the seat !

Gloves - go to your local food shop and ask for a pair of those clear plastic gloves used for food handling. They roll up to nothing and are great for keeping hands dry and warm, when pulled over your normal gloves. Cheap and effective...

Old 05-31-2008, 02:42 AM

I have like little wiper blades on my thumbs for the screen. Mark can you send my more info for the sunday.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:14 AM
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM

I use Fieldsheer pants, a Joe Rocket jacket and Joe Rocket boots all the time. They arequite water resistant. I'm still looking for half-decent water proof gloves for a reasonable price.

If I'm in a downpour for more than an hour, I do get some water starting to come through the neck of my jacket, but as I'm plenty warm, I don't worry about it too much.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that rainx is bad for visors, but i use it anyway. I'm glad I did on Sunday's ride, too, because we got hit on the way down.
I also use rainx anti-fog on the inside. It works ok, but I'm always looking for a better solution.
My jacket is waterproof, and has done a great job so far. I've only gotten hit 3 times since I bought it, though. It's kept my uppers warm and dry, though, when my pants were soaked.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 AM

I heard that rain-x can be bad on some visors and OK on others.
You can try shaving cream, it's supposed to work on mirrors.
A mate of mine said to wash the visor with soappy water.