CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Quick suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quick suspension question

I just installed progressive springs in my 1996 cbr1000f and the instructions said to cut the pvc spacer tubing suppied to 1 and a half inches. It also said that fork oil level would be affected. The shop manual i have says 6.8" from top of compressed fork leg which is what i set it at.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Noe
I can't alter the sag in the forks though, because with the new progressive spring kit, the spacer had to be removed, or else the springs were so tight that they wouldnt go in. (I havn't replaced the springs and bearings myself though. God bless my mechanic). So altering the front sag without changing the springs again is not possible.

But the front isn't a problem, because the progressive springs behave fine, and the damping is fine, but it's getting the rear dialed in to match the front that is a bit tricky now.
Noe, so you (or your mechanic) leftthe original metal tube spacer (50 mm.long) out ?
I'm trying to change my springs to progressive Hyperpro ones, it's nearly impossible to make the spacer fit with the new springs.
Although the description on the kit say's that the original spacers are to be included.
Here's some info on the kit....oil level 150 mm.....static sag (+/-5) 22 mm.......and what does this mean - spring preload +/- 52 mm.?? I understand the spring preload but what's with the +/- 52 mm......anyone ?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 AM

+/- 52 mm must be a printing error. What is the length of the new springs vs. the stock springs ? They should be about the same if the same spacers is to be used. Otherwise the spring windings can come to closeand contact each other when the fork is compressed, which is very dangerous.

Was the box for the HyperProsprings unopened and is the box marked CBR 1000 F ? I'm thinking of the possibilitythat there could have been some mixing of springs.

Edit, the springs in my Bird is 200 mm's longer than the stock springs, and the stock spacer, which is 200mm is discarded. There are also +100 mm longer springs available and then a 100 mm spacer is to be used. The springs and spacers are matched to prevent coil binding.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:08 PM

The new springs are 433mm. and the old ones 419mm.
I think that thebox has been opened before...i was about to buy a whole kit with the rear spring too. We speaked over the phone and he said that he had a complete kit but when i arrived there he said that he didn't have the rear spring...probably sold at an earlier time. He had bought a whole bunch/patch of spring kits to various motorcycles from a dealer.
The box said that the kit is for cbr1000f -89 - 92 sc24

The old springs looks like the new ones...more compressed on the upper part of the spring and more sparsed on the other/lower half.
And on my new springs the windings go/rotate the opposite way compared to the old ones so they are likely not the same brand(Hyperpro).
Don't know how the original springs supposed to look like...?...is the spring "evenly compressed" the whole way ?

Old 05-02-2008, 02:12 PM

The difference of 14 mm is probably not more than can be explained by the old spring beeing aged. I would install the new ones with the stock spacer as HyperPro said. In case the sag becomes too small, you can cut the spacer some.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:10 PM

I'll have a go tomorrow morningand see if i can fit them,thanks for the advice.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM

Hi Noe. Since you recently played with your front suspension recently, I was wondering if you could do me a favor.

Do you know if your front wheels and rotors are OEM( looks like they are)? Have you ever taken off the rotors? On your bike, is the large front spacer on the left or right? One side of the wheel hub (where the grease seal is) is lower than the rotor and the other sidesticks out past the rotor. My question is which side(left or right)has the longer spacer and which side sticks out past the rotor? I realize that the wheel has an arrow marking direction of rotation, but the service manual and the bike dont seem to agree. Per the manual, the hub sticking out past the rotor belongs on the left, but with the larger spacer. It doesnt seem to fit. If you need pics of what I'm referring to, let me know. If you could take a look and let me know, it would be great. Pics would be awesome too.

Thanks

Art

Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 AM

I got an older (-89 uk) bike, but on my front the "longer" spacer is on the left side...(if you sit on the bike).

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks Blue, but I think its different. I have LBS/CBS and it has that funny wishbone link on the front left. But thanks for checking.

I love this forum.

Art

Old 05-05-2008, 11:28 AM

This may help Chitownart......Seems like its on the left side as earlier indicated

[IMG]local://upfiles/23307/A4BC755EE9B34F9199FC587DA29462E0.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Quick suspension question