Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definatly wanna see how this turns out.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Member and Montana roustabout :)

Originally Posted by cBrentb
definatly wanna see how this turns out.
Got the oil and filter yesterday. Just waiting on the new plug. Hopefully it'll be here toward the end of the week. I'll take lots of pics and post them up when I get 'er done

Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz
So no one on the F4i yet... Looks like I might just have to try it myself... all else fails Ill pull it back off and trash it cause it was junk?
You do your F4i and I'll do my 1000F. We'll be the guinea pigs

Old 09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by montana.matt
I'll take a couple pics comparing the original plug to the quick change plug.
My point was that the threads may go up past the lower case on the inside of the engine. This would block some oil from draining. The original plug may thread past the inside surface of the case and that's not a problem because the plug is removed for draining. The fix for that would be to shorten the threads on the quick change thingy at the risk of stripping threads in the case by over tightening the shorter threads.

I like to run my bike to warm the oil before draining. I can't see standing there holding a screaming hot button draining oil when I can pull the plug and and have a beer as the last few ounces drain out.

Its not all about the beer, its about doing the job right....and having a beer while doing it.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
My point was that the threads may go up past the lower case on the inside of the engine. This would block some oil from draining. The original plug may thread past the inside surface of the case and that's not a problem because the plug is removed for draining. The fix for that would be to shorten the threads on the quick change thingy at the risk of stripping threads in the case by over tightening the shorter threads.

I like to run my bike to warm the oil before draining. I can't see standing there holding a screaming hot button draining oil when I can pull the plug and and have a beer as the last few ounces drain out.

Its not all about the beer, its about doing the job right....and having a beer while doing it.
I now understand what you were talking about lol... I'm not too concerned about a very small amount of old oil being left in the pan, if the threads go into the pan too much. I know you're gonna say "what the hell is he talking about?!" Well, like I mentioned earlier, we use these drain plugs in our oil field trucks and haven't had any type of failure yet. During the winter, these trucks run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for about 3-4 months straight. I know trucks are different than motorcycles, but with the experience I have with these plugs, I'm gonna give one a try

Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grizz
So no one on the F4i yet... Looks like I might just have to try it myself... all else fails Ill pull it back off and trash it cause it was junk?
Please do.

I'd love to put one on my F4i too (and maybe the Mustang).

Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by montana.matt
we use these drain plugs in our oil field trucks and haven't had any type of failure yet.
Do you have to push a button or is there a **** to turn? Is the oil hot when coming out?

Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Do you have to push a button or is there a **** to turn? Is the oil hot when coming out?
Here is a pic (from the company website) of the type we use on our trucks.

You can see a spring loaded lever that you pull on and then rotate maybe a 1/4 turn. And yes, when we do oil changes in the winter, the oil is warm, but not hot. It gets to -50f where we are, so as you could understand, the oil won't be hot. With these plugs, if you are doing things right, oil won't touch your skin when you open the the valve on the plug.

This is the one I ordered:

I did opt for the one with a nipple, so I could run a hose from it if I choose to do so. Same operation as the one for our trucks looks like....

Quick Reply: Quick oil changes