CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

A Question for the CBR1000F Masses

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A Question for the CBR1000F Masses

People buy them, enjoy them for a while, then are seduced by the dark side - comfort, airconditioning, stereos, don't have to wear helmets or jackets and besides, only squids ride bikes like that. Act your age man, mature people don't ride sport bikes. The wife doesn't want go anywhere on the bike, it messes her hair, besides a bug might hit her. And so the bike sits, other interests take over and we get a great deal on a barely broken in bike. Don't question, just accept.

Old 09-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRam

People buy them, enjoy them for a while, then are seduced by the dark side - comfort, airconditioning, stereos, don't have to wear helmets or jackets and besides, only squids ride bikes like that. Act your age man, mature people don't ride sport bikes. The wife doesn't want go anywhere on the bike, it messes her hair, besides a bug might hit her. And so the bike sits, other interests take over and we get a great deal on a barely broken in bike. Don't question, just accept.
Thats not true! I was at the colorado national speedway today and I parked my bike right next to another 1000F but the other was a huricane so I'm guessing it was a 91-92. I went back to my bike after the races and a 40ish guy and his wife were at the other bike getting ready to leave. They may be the exception to the rule but I'm just saying.

MDFF

Old 09-17-2005, 04:33 AM

If it's a hurricane, wouldn’t it be a 87-88

Old 09-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MarkR

If it's a hurricane, wouldn’t it be a 87-88
The answer is YES.
The Hurricane name was dropped after 2 years from the Honda line up.
I remember reading the possible reason on a motorcycle magazine.
There was a Senator Danforth or Randforth (sp?), from Indiana??, that wanted to limit the engine displacement of bikes sold in America to not more than 600cc.
He was on a Crusade, that anything bigger than a 600cc was a "KILLER BIKE".
He wanted to get rid of them.
He made references, that the word "NINJA" meant "killer" in Japanese and that "HURRICANES" killed people.
This was not good press for Honda and Kawi.
So in a political move, in order to avoid loosing sales to the public negative impression, Honda and Kawi drop the names.
So the birth of CBR 1000 and ZX-10.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:29 AM

I tell people that big bikes are safer, they are heaver and have a lower center of gravity thus they hold onto the road better, the abundant power is useful for getting out of trouble.
I then say that mopeds and really small bikes are dangerous and all bikes should be capable of achieving the maximum speed limit before being allowed on the roads.
If they then look at me with disbelief, I forego telling them that the CBR1000F can do 0-100km in 2.4 seconds and can generate more power than most small cars.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:04 PM

"Thats not true! I was at the colorado national speedway today and I parked my bike right next to another 1000F but the other was a huricane so I'm guessing it was a 91-92. I went back to my bike after the races and a 40ish guy and his wife were at the other bike getting ready to leave. They may be the exception to the rule but I'm just saying."

Any generalization has its exceptions. I'm one, myself. At 62 I'm still enjoying my CBR1000F, and my wife does enjoy an occassional ride. But overall, the reasons given for sportbikes sitting in garages still stand.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:41 AM

I might have to correct myself, I think the hurricane can push it to 3.0seconds 0-100km

Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DRam

I must be another exception.
I'm 45 years young, owned the bike since new '88.
Riding now every Saturday all year round in Texas.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:31 PM

I love living in Montana, but there are times Texas sounds great and your post names one of them. To ride year around. Heaven.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 AM

well, i'm 27, it's my first street legal bike, i picked it up for my car and 650$ (I paid 600$ for the car, all canadian funds) and the bike has 36000 kms on it.. i've already put 2000 kms on it and I've barely owned it a month, i don't have too much trouble with it, I'm a lightwieght at 6' and 150 lbs (soaking wet)... I'm riding the bike rain or shine to work, which is about 70 kms a day, it's great. I'm buying gear as I can afford it... since i got my jacket i feel naked with anything less than a riding jacket on.. i find it's a great learning bike (except for the behemoth wieght trying to do figure 8's).. it's nic eand stable, performs nicely, and can be riden for extended periods of time.. honeslty I think fuel economy could be improved somewhat though.. 8L/100km is worse than a new honda civic.. I'll still live, it's better than my car at 15 MPG

Quick Reply: A Question for the CBR1000F Masses