CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

A Question for the CBR1000F Masses

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Question for the CBR1000F Masses

I hear of all these people buying 1000F bikes With 15k or 20k miles on these bikes, why are people owning such a great bike with no mileage??? Most of the people bought the bike NEW, and it just sits in the garage or something??? Come on.. I can't believe that!! It has to be insane. I have heard of people telling me they have seen my bike (Other years here in Austin) in peoples garages covered with stuff and getting abused. My first thought was to run and buy it, they have no idea what kind of fun they are missing. So can anyone explain WHY people would buy a 12 yr old bike and just leave it in the Garage??? Did the bike spook these people and they stuck it in the garage, or what?????

Right now I have let only 2 other people ride my 1000F, and after both people rode it they went and bought a 1000cc bike immediately.. (Both were experienced riders of course) So how come these bikes still exists with No mileage??? Everyone that rides mine loves it!!

I guess I'm just starting trouble, I just find it incredible that since I have owned my CBR for the last 5 months, I have put over 7k on the bike myself, ya know?? Anyway... Good chatting with all of ya'll, lets make up a CBR 1000F run sometimes. That would be fun huh???

I'm outta here..

Old 09-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Default RE: A Question for the CBR1000F Masses

We do need a 1000F ride. I would love to make a trip to TX and run on your famous (infamous?) "back roads."

And you know what, some people just get a bike to have it. Some people actually ride their bikes. It just depends on location and if you have someone to ride with. I would deffinetly ride by bike more then I do if I had someone to ride with, or somewhere to go for that matter.

MDFF

Old 09-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My situation when I bought mine in 1988 was that I wanted the bike knowing I was not able to ride it while in Dental school.
Yet in 3 years, I managed to rack an astonishing 2K miles. hahaha
I then stored my bike for 14 years, until my residency was over, I got married and settle in a house in Texas.
I'm now riding about 600 mile a month.

Old 09-13-2005, 07:15 PM

I bought mine two years ago with 14000 miles on it. It now has over 41000 miles on it and I've done nothing but oil, chains and sprockets, air filter, changed the clutch and brake fluid, and of course new brake pads. I did buy a corbin seat, but I use the stock seat most of the time.

I took it in to have the valves done, but was told by my Honda Mechanic that if it started right everytime, and ran like it did when I bought it, I was wasting my time and money to have them checked. The last owner had them done right before I bought it and he said all of them were still in spec.

Anyhow, I will buy a newer bike next year, but I plan on riding my cbr1000f until it falls apart. Methinks that will be a long time from now.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Logan
..........I did buy a corbin seat, but I use the stock seat most of the time.
Question for you: ^^^^^^Why???
Isn't the Corbin more comfy than the factory seat???
Thanks for the input, I WAS tempted to get one.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 AM

Even after two years my corbin is still as hard as a rock. It works better in the curves, since it's cut lower, therefore giving the bike a lower center of gravity. I am planning on having a local shop add a layer of gel pad to the seat and see if that helps any. The comfortable long distance Russell day long I have is by far the best comfort wise, but it's ugly and I only use it for long trips.

I think I'll send a e-mail to Corbin later today and ask them if there is anything they can do to help first. They asked me a lot of questions, and built the seat to fit me, but it isn't worth the money as it is now. If I can get gel pad or maybe if Corbin will replace the foam with something a little softer, then it would be a good buy. The seat works great for short distances or for spirited riding in curves, but for a everyday seat the stock one is the best.

When I ride, it's for at least 150 miles and the corbin beats the crap out of my lower back. For reference I'm 6'2 and 220 lbs, so it not that I'm fat and or I overload the suspension to make my ride so rough. The suspension is also set up for spirited sport riding, which make it a little on the firm side of things. With it set all the way soft the seat isn't as bad, but the handling of the bike suffers with it set that way.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:46 AM

^^^^^What are your suspension setting????
WE both are same height and weight .
I have a BAD lower back and I ride about 180-200 every Saturday.
Mine is set up with no preload on front 0 psi in the forks, rear rebound is set on 2(medium) and suspension preload midway between medium and hard.
The back roads I ride are 95% smooth.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:06 PM

Both are on hard, I like to ride fast around the curves, and anything less than that will rearend wallow around enough to make it interesting. With the preload set lower I drag my pegs, so I set it higher to improve ground clearance.

I'm guessing if I get a good penske or ohlins shock the corbin would be fine as is. The problem with that is, I'm not sure it's worth putting a $700 shock on a bike that's worth $3000.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:19 PM

Red Baron, its' funny that some of you guys don't like the Corbin, I actually sold my stock seat and only ride my Corbin. I'm 6ft and 185 pounds. I hated the stock seat on long rides, yes the Corbin is hard, but it is wider and seemed to work better for me. I've logged some 1100 miles on it on 3 days and my legs and shoulders started fatigue before my butt started killing me. I'm doing a 7 state one day 600 mile ride in October and would never consider doing a day like that on a stock seat. Also for longer rides a wear a back brace/kidney belt which give me more support on my lower back.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:56 PM

I just picked up a 93 1000 with 15k on it last month. The guy I purchased it from said he never had time to ride it. That and it was in upstate NY. Have a 91 VFR 750 I picked up 3 years ago with 16k on it. His story was "not enough time." I've put 10k on it the last 3 years and 1500k on the CBR so far since I've had it. There are quite a few low-mileage cbr's out there that surface on a regular basis. Also, you'll find some for sale with 50, 60 or higher mileage from people that really got into them! Hell, I'll pick up a used one with low mileage and save on having to buy a new one any day!

Quick Reply: A Question for the CBR1000F Masses