CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Pushed the button, no start. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok...some numbers. With a fully charged battery I have 13.2 volts sitting there. When I start it, it drops to 12.8 at idle. Revving all the way up to 5k only gets me up to 13.0 or 13.1. What does that tell me?

Warner

PS - using a volt/ohm meter, how can I test the R/R?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:58 PM

More numbers:

Unplugged the connector to the R/R

Between any of the 3 yellow wires I get 1 ohm.

Between the black and white wires I get 4 ohms.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut n paste from elsewhere but this applies to the Street Triple although the outcome should be similar.

If the reg/rec is ok disconect stator, 3 pins you should be getting about 60v ac out of each. With bike off check resistance reading each leg should read about the same. Then repeat with the negative lead to frame of bike or negative of battery and you shouldnt get a reading it should read open curcuit if yours is like mine it wont and the stator is incontact with parts it shouldnt be and is bleeding to the frame........

SOOOOO......

Getting an AC output is to be expected as thats what the charging circuit gets from the stator, then the AC gets chopped (rectified) to a DC output then the regulator limits the voltage output to around 14V. Providing you have a reasonable AC voltage then the stator should be fine and the Reg/Rec could be faulty. Hope that helps.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 PM

I just did this test successfully. I have 12v at both the black and white wires:

meter on volts - neg to earth.
connect pos lead to BL wire on exciter coil circuit.
Turn on IGN SW (don't start) & you should see your FULL BATTERY VOLTAGE .. 12.??v approx on meter. (Too much loss of voltage here will give reduced output).
If no volts then check the 10A sub fuse. (This should not be an issue from what you have already stated).
If 12V is there then move meter pos lead to the W wire and confirm you still have the 12.??v.
This process confirms voltage at the exciter coil circuit, necessary to get your VAC output of about 45v.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:12 PM

Where do I put my meter leads (with the meter set to read AC volts) with the engine running and the plug pulled from the R/R?
Between each of the yellow wires?

Between each yellow and the black wire?

Between each yellow and the white wire?

Or something else???

Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah between each pair of 3 wires you should get a balanced output in AC of a similar reading on each pair. (1-2, 2-3, 3-1) if the readings are not balanced then the stator is toast i.e. one of the winding legs is open circuit or down to earth

Then kill the engine and change the meter to ohms resistance and check between each wire and earth (1-black, 2-black, 3-black) and there should be no circuit. if there is then the stator is toast, i.e. one of the legs is down to earth.

I'm off to bed, will check in the morning for a response.
Good luck.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:31 PM

Testing to ground, there is no circuit on any of the 3 yellow legs. Infinite resistance.

Don't know what this means, but between each yellow leg I get equal resistance readings of about 75 ohms.

However, at idle I get no AC voltage between any of the 3 yellow wires. I seem to remember doing this same test on my DRZ400 when I thought I had a stator issue and initially getting 0 volts AC.....Then when I tried it later I got the correct voltage between each leg. (That issue turned out to be a kinked fuel line and the bike would cut out at high rpms).

I should be doing this with the plug DISCONNECTED from the R/R, correct?

Warner

Old 09-13-2016, 05:34 PM

I recently had to replace the rr and the stator.

How old is your battery ? A fully charged good battery will run the bike for about 1 hour, if not charging via the rr or stator.

Like everyone else mentioned. 12.8 at the battery at idle, 13.2 to 14 volts at 3500, 4000, rpm.

Hope it's either a bad battery or the rr, the 1990 on up, stator are hard to find. I got mine from a,salvage yard, Honda no longer sells the stator.

Ryan

Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sporty982000
I recently had to replace the rr and the stator.

How old is your battery ? A fully charged good battery will run the bike for about 1 hour, if not charging via the rr or stator.

Like everyone else mentioned. 12.8 at the battery at idle, 13.2 to 14 volts at 3500, 4000, rpm.

Hope it's either a bad battery or the rr, the 1990 on up, stator are hard to find. I got mine from a,salvage yard, Honda no longer sells the stator.

Ryan
I hear you....and I vividly recall your search. I found during a search today that Ricky's will rebuild them for $175, so hopefully that's a worst case scenario. The bike has 9,500 miles on it.

Warner

Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 PM

Ok, with the cable PLUGGED INTO the R/R, I'm getting normal AC voltages between 2 of the 3 possible yellow wire combinations. The 3rd one sticks at about 14 volts AC even when I rev it.

Stator issue, or R/R issue?

Warner

Quick Reply: Pushed the button, no start. Help!