CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Power

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power

Hi guys and girls, have just bought my cbr1000f 1995 model, i have in the past owned 3 of these and previous to this one i had a kawa zx9r bullet of a bike.
On taking my bike out on its first run it seems to be a bit sluggish low down but once up around 6-7000rpm starts to move,i cant remember if this is normal but i think it should pick up a lot quicker than it is, it really does seem flat.
It has a full honda service history.
Any ideas advice???
I thought i may be looking for too much as the kawa was quick but i seem to remember these shifting pretty rapidly.
Another thing what about cam chain do you have to renew the tensioner regularly??
Thanks in advance

Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Power

Welcome to the Forum ! Having had 4 of these, you're probably better qualified to answer the question than we are !! (or at least me)The ZX9 is a bullet, and the Hurricane is a bit slow off the line,with std sprockets, and below 3000 RPM is sluggish, but (for my bike) the power band comes in just below 6000RPM, at which point things happen quite rapidly. Check your sprocketing, you may want to drop one tooth on the front, or go up a couple on the back. Some guys do both. Std is, as you probably know, 17/41 or 17/42 depending where the bike was sold. (Are your carbs properly balanced and the valve lash adjusted ?)this will affect performance to a degree.As for cam chains and tensioners, answers will differ. I've replaced 2 camchains in 60000 Kilometres, but only had one tensioner (the original), but the general consensus is around 60,000 Kilos or so for a chain/tensioner, more or less....(We won't talk about regulator rectifiers) he he[X(]
Let's see some pics of your baby, and some history.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Hi Diddly, welcome.

I came to the CBR1F from a derestricted ZZR1100. I found the CBR slow in comparison and I find you need to keep the revs up if you are playing with more dedicated sports bikes. I do feel the CBR seems a tad slower than it is due to the very smooth engine, but if you wring the bike's neck (sorry those people with an eye on fuel consumption ) the bike is pretty (very) quick.

I have the stock set up re sprockets and willnot be changing this until the stock items need replacing, but Shawodywody (above) and the other guys who have changed the sprocket ratios really rate this mod. I am looking forward to getting it done but have got very used to the power delivery of the CBR and enjoy it's relaxed manner. Well for the first few miles then I just abuse the throttle!

I am sure it won't take long to get used to, and you will enjoy the build quality of the Honda once more apart from the R/R issues

Old 03-30-2008, 12:28 PM

Hi Diddly, Don't believe a word old Floggsville says - he never rides his bike - it's always raining in GB. (and his wellies are full) he he

Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Hi and welcome to a GREAT forum !

(Did the sprocket "upgrade" myself...up to JT45 at the rear.)

Old 03-30-2008, 02:10 PM

Hi Marko, Min Venn ! Thanks for the Swedish lesson, Old Fart is probably accurate, too, he he
I have a question - The CBR1000F's speedo is known to be about 10% high.........
If we fit 18 tooth front sprockets instead of 17's would it not make the speedo more accurate ?
Or go down 3 teeth on the back to 38/39 ?.........

Please excuse thread hijack, Diddly, didn't want to start a whole new post for a simple question.....
Oh, and Flogger, me old China Plate, we need your Country retreat in Essex, NOT your TOWN house at 10 Downing St SW1. .......unless you've changed your name to Gordon....ar ar ar

Old 03-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey diddly, where are you from?
Shadow1 is from South Africa and I am from up state New York, USA.
From my point of view Shadow1 is upside down and the blood is rushing to his head.
(Sorry about the member bashing)

These bikes are a bit heavy compared to other bikes. You get a smooth ride but trade some handling and acceleration for it.

The CCT is a hot topic in the forum. There are many threads on it. From what I can see is that they need to be changed out on the average of 15K miles or so. I changed mine and have 30k on it and it seems OK.

Welcome to the brotherhood

Old 03-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Welcome to the forum Diddly

I am from canda the great white north, where we are keeping a cool head despite ourselves.... Shadow send us a bit of your heat up here. For the cct , mine has been changes two years ago and not a peep ! Stared the engine today and i think next week will be the week ! Tmbuctwo whre are you in upstate new york i am in Montreal , might be fun to meet at one point.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 PM

<---------- Shadow, just for you, I got mywives to stand outside the front door today....

Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Hi Marko, Min Venn ! Thanks for the Swedish lesson, Old Fart is probably accurate, too, he he
I have a question - The CBR1000F's speedo is known to be about 10% high.........
If we fit 18 tooth front sprockets instead of 17's would it not make the speedo more accurate ?
Or go down 3 teeth on the back to 38/39 ?.........

Please excuse thread hijack, Diddly, didn't want to start a whole new post for a simple question.....
Oh, and Flogger, me old China Plate, we need your Country retreat in Essex, NOT your TOWN house at 10 Downing St SW1. .......unless you've changed your name to Gordon....ar ar ar

Hi Shadow1 !
Yeah, the change would make it closer to accurate reading on the speedo....
This is a link that was posted on this forum earlier...seen it before ? Perfect to try out different gear/ratio setups.
There's only CBR1000F 87-88 model to select but that's a minor matter. Just put in your sprocket sizes in the custom square (green) then click the custom "button" on the table just under where you changed the sprockets. You can also change the stock and current squares too if you want. Plus there is a lot of other fun info/setups you can check out, "RPM deviation due to drive train changes" and much more......Try it !

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Var så god, Peter !

Quick Reply: Power