CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Por-15?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Por-15?

Hey guys, anyone familiar with the product por-15? From what I understand it's an alternative to powder coating thats very affordable... It's put on with a brush and I've seen some work by a guy using it and you can't tell at all... Even hitting it with a hammer doesn't chip it supposedly! Hahahaha thinking Bout trying it on my swing arm and frame... What do y'all think?

Old 09-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

It was the way togo before powder coat became affordable. It works well, is easy to apply, and last pretty long. If you do not prep it well, the rust if any, will return no matter what they say. I use it a lot on frames to big to powder coat, with good results.

Dub

Old 09-10-2011, 11:33 PM

What if everything is cleaned pretty good before application? Swing arm had a good bit of rust but frame is pretty rust free...

Old 09-11-2011, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by bjjrev
What if everything is cleaned pretty good before application? Swing arm had a good bit of rust but frame is pretty rust free...
Hey:

It will help but clean will do where there is no rust. Can you bead, sand or shot blast it to remove the rust?

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-11-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:54 PM

I've been using a die grinder with a wire wheel head to clean the rust of

Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good stuff use in on my mower decks , auto frames etc.

Expensive tho' but the mower deck is 12 years old and a good as
the day it was bought.

Prep for this stuff is indeed the key otherwise it will peel off in sheets

Old 09-12-2011, 09:21 PM

On their site they sell a kit that comes with a degreaser and another cleaning agent (might be confussed). I think I will try it. I was quoted today $800 to powdercoat the rims, frame, and swing arm. Might use por-15 for the swing arm and frame. Dont want to seem cheap but I have 3 kids in private school... HAha please give your honest opinion on this... If need be I'll def wait and save for the powdercoating but if por-15 Is ok then I'll go with that.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

other thing is ... alot of their coatings are UV intolerant .... so make sure you
get the frame paint ....not the standard stuff.... or at least that's how it used to be

Just looked , guess it's called chassiscoat now

so I guess you'd go por 15 with chassis coat on top for UV protection

Last edited by Sprock; 09-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 PM

I've used por-15 a couple times (on my old Mustang chassis and Ranger pickup frame) and it's better than anything else I've tried over the years. Having said that, I can echo what everyone else is saying:

1) prep is the key. "Paint Over Rust" (POR) *really* means "Get as much rust off as you can so you're not painting over too much rust!" Again, prep is the key, and you'll be happy with it. I've seen powdercoating rust through and flake off pretty fast when parts aren't prepped correctly. Did I mention prep? ;-)

2) Yes, some of their products are UV intolerant and must be painted over to be effective. Just double check what you're getting.

Good luck!

(Eastman's Rust Encapsulator is pretty good if you want to do the spray can route, btw).

Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by bjjrev
On their site they sell a kit that comes with a degreaser and another cleaning agent (might be confussed). I think I will try it. I was quoted today $800 to powdercoat the rims, frame, and swing arm. Might use por-15 for the swing arm and frame. Dont want to seem cheap but I have 3 kids in private school... HAha please give your honest opinion on this... If need be I'll def wait and save for the powdercoating but if por-15 Is ok then I'll go with that.
Hey:

To be honest if you prep it well enough, use an Rustoleum Etch primer, a good Pro Rustoleum Black paint, with their Crystal Clear Coat, you can get very good results that will last a very long time and buy it all at Walmart. This will save you some money and still give comparable results that can be easily maintained inexpensively. It would be the route I would take. Basically POR is just a thick hard paint. IF YOU take your time and give many good thin coats allowing each to completly dry and have good patience, do not rush it, your results will reflect a great job.

BTW VHT caliper paint and wheel paint works almost as good as powder coat it just take more for you to prep clean and is tons cheaper with no removal of bearings and such.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 09-15-2011 at 10:05 PM.