CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Pilot Road 3 front tyre Cupping

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Road 3 front tyre Cupping

Hi, anyone here running PR3's on their 1000F?

I'm getting some cupping / Scalloping on the right side of my 5,000 km old PR3 front tyre (the side our road cambers).

The tyre is otherwsie fine. Heaps of tread, no squaring off or cupping on the left side. Tyre pressure is always festidiously maintained to 36 psi.

fwiw, the PR2 rear has done 13,000km & still looking chit hot so i'd expect similar out of a PR3 front ?

Interested in your comments.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run Bridgestones, Metzelers, PR1s and now I'm on PR2s on mine. All of them cup the front sooner or later (sooner than I'd like!). I check the pressures often, alignment, bearings (steering and wheels) are spot on. The rear tyres have only ever worn out in the middle.

I now think that it's just that, unfortunately, my regular ride is straight down the highway to and from work.

I never had this problem with any other bike since '82 but all my other bikes were ridden randomly (and fast) wherever I wanted to go.

I don't think you can blame the PR3s mate. BTW, how do they grip in the wet and dry? What's the feel like?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:36 AM

I've always ridden sports tourers hard, and tyres have always suffered. the front is just doing too much work on a 250 kilo bike.

I have PR3's and love them so far buy only have about 2500 K's on them and not much of that is fun, twisty stuff

Tim.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Pressure and balance are the root cause of cupping.

Shocks can also contribute.

Once it starts it only gets worst and as Classic says they need to come off.

I don't run with sport tires due to problems like this. A sport/touring tire grips almost as well and less cupping is seen.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-29-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder if the forks are slightly twisted or if the fork oil is low on one side ? !

I found back a while ago when my forks were weeping it cupped the crap out
of the front ..... no issues since seals were done and new tire on it .... just the usual
slight feathering equally on both sides ....nothing like before !

Old 07-30-2011, 02:29 PM

fwiw, my cbr's my dayly communter. She's had her fork seals / oil replaced approx. 20,000 km ago so no leakage there. The commute is mainly straight motorway but i throw her into some hills every couple of weeks.

Classic, you have a point re road conditions. One of my favourite local routes is a bit like a goat track but has awsome twisties. Some of the right handers are steeply rutted with course / sharp edged reinstated bits of road + tar snakes. You can almost feel the rubber ripping diving through some of them right handers & i wouldn't be surprised if this sort harsh road treatment + the cbr's weight is attributing to some premature wear on the front.

I absolutley love the PR3's. The dual compound is very soft on outer edges, they really grip + the are awesome in the wet. They have seen some interesting weather here over the last couple of months including torrential rain, surface flooding, slick city roads & -1 degree celcius mornings these tyres are very confidence inspiring... i highly recommend + you get the extended milage. If i get another 5,000km out of my cbr front in these conditions i will be a happy chap.

I also have an SV1000 but with PR2's. A lighter bike, doesn't get the m/way commute but similar rides & no cupping.

A question tho... I know the handbook says 36 psi front but for arguments sake, can you up the pressure to say 38 or 40 psi ?

Thanks for some good feedback guys

Last edited by mrchips; 07-30-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: mi splelling is chit
Old 07-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I ride my front at 38. It seems to give a more consistent performance. All my tyres get a change of pressure when new to determine the best result.
I'm riding BT 021's at the moment.
The old Dunlops worked better slightly softer. 35-36.
Play around a bit, see what works for you.
I also find rear preload adjustment has a minor effect on front tyre stability. Tweak now and again to find the optimum. A quarter turn on the adjuster can make a noticeable difference.
Interesting to know hear your experience of the PR3 on a Hurricane. Cheers for that Chippy.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, thanks for the tyre report mate. They'll be my next set for sure...still a long way off though.

Quick Reply: Pilot Road 3 front tyre Cupping