CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Parts bike arrived today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts bike arrived today!

Picked this old girl up for $400 AUD. She lived a couple of hours away so it cost $200 AUD to be delivered. Just got home from work and about to start investigating. Here is a pic. I'll post more as i get her apart. Only really wanted the nose cone but maybe she starts? About to strap on a new battery and find out!

Watch this space....

Owen

Name:  510ac3d36627a8e7489586fa53d19ec5_zpse23865a3.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  17.9 KB

Last edited by oml67; 05-17-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 AM

ok, so after loosening the few remaining fastners from the fairing, this is what we have..

Name:  8013da502ef4ab157955d96c893c8461_zps383f57aa.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  21.8 KB

I've put in my new battery from the bike I'm trying to keep on the road and not only do we have ignition but it turns over very positively!

Name:  1ecf5e9cdbce0da4b310aaf1453274a5_zps1a578af0.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  24.3 KB

I checked the oil and it was clean. Sadly there is no coolant in it however a few drops of water into the thermostat housing show a leak in the radiator. That's a shame but hardly unexpected.

I need to avoid getting too distracted here. My main CBR1000FJ is awaiting a new alternator damper.

Name:  AlternatorChain_zps8f3aca54.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  147.0 KB

Honda have just discontinued that part and so I may need to extract this one. First i should try to rebuild the one i suspect is causing the starting issue (squeals like a pig instead of starting when it catches).

Also i did make a promise not to buy any more bikes until my restoration project (GPZ600R) is complete.

Name:  E4CFC4CE-E1B4-40F4-8B8A-2A061DBA81D2-27532-0000038D6178F16B.jpg
Size:  24.9 KB

So maybe i need to either tuck this away out of sight or take it apart into boxes before someone realises they can count to 5 not 4 using bikes as a measure!

ok, might go back down and fiddle a bit more.

Cheers

Owen

Last edited by oml67; 05-18-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Original black chrome pipes, apparently sound plastic; if nothing else it would appear to be be a real nice parts bike that some of the other members may be interested in.

What's with the beige colored wrap round the front end? did the shipping company do that?

Cheers
TK

PS : don't worry too much about the counting thing, not generally a female strong point.

"How come you've got two red , white and blue bikes? I thought you only had one?"

"No dear, you're getting confused, this bike is red, blue and white. Remember I bought it ages ago, just after you bought those $500 leather boots, that I've never actually seen you wear. Because they're too small and don't actually fit, but they look "really nice"

Go and have another wine, I'm busy"

Last edited by kiwi TK; 05-17-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 AM

TK-the brown is primer. Looks like a previous owner started repainting. It turns over well and the carbs have petrol in them. The tone alters as I open and close the throttle. It might go but if its anything like my Gpz the inlet valves will need opening up. I might text the seller to see if he ever had it running. I think he bought it for the engine to go in a buggy so maybe?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 PM

Charged up my battery overnight and cranked it over again this morning. It is catching well and might even run. Petrol on the floor though so need to check I've put the hose on properly or its leaking somewhere else. Previous owner tells me he had it running.

Why am i filled with the urge to make it run i wonder?

Good news is the damper obviously works at the moment, so that will be great if i need to get it out of this one and into my running(well not obviously), taxed version.

Name:  1107C94C-9C0D-45FB-8EA3-CC5A80CCF6B6-27532-0000038D5B14D63E.jpg
Size:  21.4 KB

Right will potter along, radiator needs some magic goo to temp fix the leak rather than swap it over from runner which seems a waste of time. although that one does need draining to replace the sensor for the fan which I've bought - hmm. I'm just fiddling here for the sake of it. haha!

Owen

Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oml67
Why am i filled with the urge to make it run i wonder?
It's a disease some of us have. We just need to see something run. There is no "why".

My buddy's parents had a beach house that had an old motor boat and an old gas golf cart in the shed. Neither had run in years (and they looked like something you'd see in a junk yard), but I just couldn't leave them alone. I tried to forget about them, but it was all I could think about. It took me 3 solid days (and a few trips to town) but I got them both running.
The axle ended up breaking on the boat trailer after it's first voyage, but the golf cart held up really well. I put some baja lights on it from k-mart and I strapped a cooler of Coors to the back so we could cruise around all the campgrounds at night.
Good times. lol...

Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 PM

Hi Owen, I am chasing some parts for my bike. In particular I am looking for the left hand inner panel in the fairing that runs down the side of the fuel tank and seals into the upper side fairing. Also I need the right hand side and left hand side covers on the exhaust system that meet up to the mufflers. If you are interested to sell these parts please contact me greg.bonett@hotmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you, Greg.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:29 AM

Greg - I've emailed you back.

kilgoretrout - Well it started. I cranked it for a few minutes and eventually it coughed into life. I didn't run it for more than about 10 seconds as i was unsure how much coolant it had in it. I've now dropped the radiator off it and swapped in my other one. (it had some brown water in it about 2/3 the amount of coolant that came out of the runner) This one needed a new sensor fitting so had to be drained. popping the three hoses and two bolts didn't take that long. In the morning I will fill it up, check for leaks and really let it rip! hehehe

Old 05-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a really good find - who knows, maybe fix her up and run them both............
Sprock has 3.................. Lol
But he's a real nutter...............

Old 05-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Shadow - that has crossed my mind. The black one is road worthy, it just needs the starter damper put in. Once I'm using that day to day my thoughts are turning to the idea of restoring/renovating certain components on the white one and then swapping them into the black one. the white one would gradually morph into the the black one and the black one would become semi restored. Well it's an entertaining notion. Ok ....about to pour coolant into it and fire it up for the neighbours!

Quick Reply: Parts bike arrived today!