CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Part out, sell or keep

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Part out, sell or keep

Well, its starting to look like i didnt need the wiring harness, but the rectifier (what does that do anyway) connections look bad and on the new harness where it says fuse box there was nothing before. There was, but I wouldnt trust it. I have a hunch once i can get 12v to the right places it will run. Also, Im guessing some kind of connection is made from the wiring harness to the fuel pump. I have an aftermarket universal due to fire of old pump, with justa ground wire and a power wire. What do I make of that? I dont think its a good idea to have power to the pump even when the bike is off. There are just a lot of loose ends that Im not sure about. Ill take some pictures and get them up over the weekend. I heard it running the day i bought it, Im convinced i can get in running with the right direction. The she will get over it, or Ill do something else retarded to take her mind off it.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:07 AM

well when you bought it ....what was differernt? what happened besides falling off of your trailer at 30mph did you do to the bike to make it not run? dosent the key usually turn off the fuel pump when its not in use?

sounds like you got a birds nest of wires

hope this link to a service manual helps you out some mabe you can check out the wireing diagram in the back chapters

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cbr/Hon...ice_Manual.pdf

Old 04-28-2007, 03:00 AM

I wired up everything the way it should be, charged the battery, and I got nothing. Apparently, the coil that connects the battery + to the bike has seen better times, so I tried to fix that and got dashboard lights but had to go to work. My roomates called me about an hour later and had gotten it started. It still has some issues, the fron turn signals come on and stay on, but dont blink when the turn signal is used. You win some you lose some. Overall I crossed the biggest hurdle of getting it started. I think im going to keep it.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Hey glad to hear you got it going. We all had faith in you.

What you need to do now is show your girl some attention and thank her for being so understanding.
Then if something like this happens again in the future, you will have set up a pattern of behaveyer
with her.

NAGGING+MALE PRIDE+ X x DAYS NOT SPEAKING=REWARD+HAPPINESS

Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 AM

Yeah, saturday was our 6 month anniv, so we had a nice day. Unfortunately for the bike, were back to square one. I managed to get it started in the morning, but it died and would not even crank again. While it was starting, there was a little bit of smoke coming from a little round cylinder that hooks up to the battery positive side and plugs into a harness labeled fuse box on the wiring harness. When I try to start it now the cylinder just makes a clicking noise. Im guessing Im going to have to get a new one from a used parts dealer, and can anyone tell me where the fuel pump is supposed to be wired to? I bought it with a yoshimuara exhaust, this thing sounds AMAZING! When it ran that is.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 AM

Sounds like either your starter solenoid or starter are on the fritz, is it a small round solenoid? Or is it a large round motor looking object with goes into the motor? Also, the turn signals being on all the time could be a short or broken wire.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 AM

Its closer to the battery than the starter. I guessing starter soleniod then. Anyway, is this costly to replace?

Forgive my ignorance on the subject everyone and thanks for the help.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM

thats what were here for.....

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 PM

sound like the solenoid to me. I broke the suspension dogbone on mine and it tore all the wiring out! rewired it and never had a problem since.
Get a Haynes workshopmanual for it, their wiring diagram is easy to follow. they show you how to test all the solenoids / switches etc etc.
show your girl some attention then show your bike some attention.
dont sell it if it doesnt run you will loose money big time! at least get it going, then do what I did, STREETFIGHTER IT! LOL.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:03 AM

You can get an aftermarket solenoid off ebay for about $25. Look at the pic on there and you should be able to determine if that is what is smoking.

Quick Reply: Part out, sell or keep