CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Painkillers... Do you use them on long touring trips ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Noe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painkillers... Do you use them on long touring trips ?

I have experienced that a some people use painkillers on touring trips, driving long distances.
Just wondering how common that is...

Old 08-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Default RE: Painkillers... Do you use them on long touring trips ?

Ibuprofin only

Old 08-06-2006, 04:03 PM

I’ll think I will try to solve the things that causes the pain instead of using pills (i.e seat and handlebars in my case)
But right now I cant ride for more than maximum 1,5 hours before I have to take a leg stretcher.
I took a trip to my brother in Stockholm about 400 km and that was really an effort and took away all of my plans going to trollstigen in Norway for vacation.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:24 PM

I'm 39 and have a few more aches and pains now, so I'll use ibuprofin to make the rides better since nothing other a gold wing will be comfortable for long rides. The newer bikes are made for small short people. Since I'm neither and I can't make the distance between the seat and the pegs farther apart on the bikes I like to ride I have little choice.

It's either take a few pills or buy a bike I don't want yet.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talk'n Over the counter?... or smack !!!!!!!!! I'm on a Dr. aprooved meds regime, for major multiple nerve neropathy, from 15 yrs undiagnosed diabeties... can't survive w/o 'em. But scrips can be a killer. I don't recomend much over mothers milk, for anyone... and being in recovery (pothead)... I'll just say... Man, my use'n, first corner late braking antics, were, ah... beyond scary !!!!!!!... "Oh, wow man..." Shear lunacy(addiction) Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am never in pain on my bike. I am 51 years old and it keeps me young. I haven’t been to a doctor in 26 years. I only take vitamins and rarely aspirins. I guess I am lucky that way.

Then again, I am the type of guy to go cross-country on a mini bike with a boom box over my shoulder.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

I am never in pain on my bike. I am 51 years old and it keeps me young. I haven’t been to a doctor in 26 years. I only take vitamins and rarely aspirins. I guess I am lucky that way.

Then again, I am the type of guy to go cross-country on a mini bike with a boom box over my shoulder.

I've had two knee scopes on my right and one on my left, as well as a ankle scope on the right side. That doesn't include the three major adominal surgeries or the broken bones in my right hand or one of my left fingers. Not to mention the swelling I sometimes get in my right elbow. Playing sports while younger and a few motorcycle wrecks both in the dirt and on the road will make life great in another twenty years.

So I pop one 800 mg motrin every morning anyways, and take three a day when on long trips with the bike.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:24 AM

Depends on the type od analgesics you're talking about. Occasionally take an Ibuprofen on really long trips - over 600 miles - for knee pain. I do make a combo fill/rmpty stop about every 2 hours ( the interval decreases as the mileage increases). Never take anything that night impair alertness - and that includes Benedryl for allergies. Mind altering drugs don't mix with gasolinr any better than alcohol
Terry

Old 08-07-2006, 02:24 AM

Nothing for me, other than over the counter stuff like ibuprofin. Enough of them is equivilent to any mild sedative or muscle relaxer. But what some of you might find very helpful is something else.

A buddy of mine runs a radiology department at a hospital near me. He introduced this stuff called PK5. It is a topical analgesic like ben gay or flexall 454. It goes on like a roller deodorant and dries quickly. There's no smell from it. When on long trips or I know I will be on and off the bike alot during a day, I carry this in a tank bag. I just roll it around a shoulder blade, or wrist and a few mintues later it feels better.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:26 AM

Ibuprofin or Naproxen. Neither cause drowsiness.

Quick Reply: Painkillers... Do you use them on long touring trips ?