CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion

Do you have the feeling that often the cbr1000f is underrated by the young generation? The other day i was with a apprentice ( cannot be on the road on his own for a year) and he told me that i should cange my girl because it is old and not as nimble as the new bikes. ell i considered the old girl a sport touring the same as a sprint st1050 and poeple are raving about this bike, me and my friend exchange bike during a ride and sensations and performance were the same or the cbr was on top.

Any way that apprentice saw that the old girl had a lot left in her in the twisties..

Do you often get this feeling! They don,t realise that when it first came out it was the bike to have ant it is still in it !

what do you think

Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still stay with anything I really want to stay with, except of course the latest superbikes. Much depends on the ability of the rider, but in competent hands, it still surprises plenty of people........A friend bought an exup and was raving to me about how fast it was, and so nimble etc. We went for a ride and I left him well behind. When we got back, I let him ride my bike.
He's now looking to sell his exup and buy a 1000F
I have yet to find a 900RR that can run away from me even though it's supposed to be a "superbike".........and we ride a hypertourer - pffft
Enough said........

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always called mine a Sport Touring Bike. Not no more it is now a Hyper Touring Bike. Or I have also liked the Ballistic Couch.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A common misconception for sure Carl

BIG Grin when the young Guns "try" getting away from you on their new rides
as a lot of them have neither the skills n'or the ***** to twist the trigger all the way
on them. I find after 5 or 10 min's most just wind it back and play possum .... not
all ..... the ones that don't and are fortunate enough to start out in front of ya get
mighty pissed off when they find they can't shake ya off their rear too easily

Of course , start messing with the sprockets and the surprises are more profound

Old 08-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

These bikes have 136 HP and the newer ones have 150 or more. The problem is where to use it. There are few really tight turns where a true sport bike is worth the purchase while giving up the comfy ride. Most people can't believe how old my bike is when I tell them that it is a 1994 model. If your apprentice didn't know the year he would not have made that statement perhaps.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-22-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:55 PM

Yep! ... '88 model here ... and the old girl can still raise a few eyebrows! (Including mine! )

Mostly tho, it's down to the skill of the rider on the day ... There's some good talent out there ... but there's also a lot of "accident's waiting to happen!" .... Theses days, I'm a little more sedate, unless directly challenged!

I wouldnt ever trade a comfy arm chair for a crotch rocket!!!!! I must be getting old! Hahaha!

Last edited by shakey; 08-22-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Talking

I have been stopped beside at a red light and asked what year is your bike. There response is WOW yours looks better than mine. I just ride away with a big grin

Old 08-22-2010, 05:41 PM

All of the above cover it well. Tell him to first get a license, then learn to ride, try a few different bikes over a few years and then he'll be able to make comment on the 'old girls' that we ride...cheeky young whipper snapper! .

Take him for a spin on the back and give it the beans from a standing start then through a few fast sweepers. He'll either be wearing a silly grin afterwards or be white as a sheet except for the brown patch in his strides...might need to rinse the seat off asap.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's an apprentice for gawd's sake! WTF does he know?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 PM

My ol' 87 makes me laugh when I ride it. Not because it is funny but because it is the most fun I've ever had with my pants on. I can't wait to try it with my pants off!

Quick Reply: Opinion